Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Achieving the JPJ tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Aug 5, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm looking for a nice rig to get JPJ-like tone. This is what I have in mind:

Fender 62/75 Jazz RI with D'Addario Chromes Flatwonds
    Thunderfunk TFB420/550
    Bergantino NV215/425

Do you think this gear (and lots of talent) get me in the neighborhood of Zep II tones.

Would you reccomend the 62 over the 75 Jazz or viceversa?

How about the cabs, 215 or 425?

Thanks folks!

2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Thats a great start. I think rounds may be better though. Also, most of his sound is in the fingers and phrasing.

3. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Also If you don't have the Zeppelin bass books, GET 'EM. I have found a few mistakes in them, but they are pretty much dead on. Also if you don't know how to read (or feel) note ties well then songs like "good times bad times" will be difficult for you.

But no doubt a jazz with rounds will getcha close. ;)

4. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I would go with the 62RI jazz, set up with flats. Jonsey used flats for the early recordings. On some early video's of the band playing songs from the first album, you can see that he still has the mutes installed on his jazz. He did switch to rounds when he used the Alembic bass. In interviews that I have read he describes his finger attack as pretty hard on the strings. Watch the video and notice how he plays, that is where a lot of his tone comes from. He used big cabs, Acoustic 18's with folded horns.

5. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Yeah I'd definitely go w/ the 62 and I think your rig idea should get you a nice warm vintage tone while also being a little more versatile for different tones (it is not like you want to lug Acoustic cabs w 18" speakers and folded horns to your gigs, although the Zeppelin tribute band we opened for 2 weeks ago did indeed have the old Acoustic rig!). Just try different strings til you find what works. Oh yeah, don't forget the keyboards, mandolin, taurus pedals, etc. :p

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    On your amp, I would say cut the mids, keep the lows pretty high, and the highs pretty low.

7. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    JPJ tended to play close to the neck(at least in the earlier days before the 8-string) when he was fingering or picking.

8. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    ...learn something every day. What songs did he play an 8 on?

9. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i believe achilles last stand has 8 sting bass

10. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    an Alembic, if I'm not mistaken. (?)

11. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Very important is to plpay pretty much on the neck with your right hand.Gives a world of overtones and warmness.And a 60s J Bass will help too.

12. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
  13. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    usually towards neck or pickups, don't recall him go up to the bridge much/at all.

Though his main Zep bass was the jazz, he also had a '51 tele bass he used in the 70s.

[​IMG]

14. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    yah, I can hear that. Is that the only one? From audiophage's post, I thought there would be several...

15. Yes, I believe the early P-bass, strung with roundwounds and usually picked, was used for many of the 'raunchy' sounding things on the early albums. "Out on the Tiles" may be one of these (but II'm not 100% certain).

As for the rest of the early stuff, definitely Jazz bass with flats.

16. mos6507

mos6507

Jun 28, 2005
    On record:

Nobody's Fault but Mine
    Ozone Baby on Coda (rarely mentioned, sure sounds like it to me)

He also played the 8 live on some legacy tunes in 77 onward like Black Dog that featured basslines that locked in with the guitar riff. You can always hear the telltale string-rattle on the bootlegs.

If you want to hear a lot of this stuff, pick up his two solo albums that feature almost nothing but octave bass.

He's definitely become the preeminent practitioner of the instrument.

17. Quick question about JPJ: Did he ever use a fretless? I have the DVD and a few CDs, and I could swear I HEAR the fretless, but I can't be sure that I've ever seen it. For example, I'm 90% sure that he uses a fretless on Ramble On, you can hear it in the intro. But due to vid quality and the lack of closeups, I can't tell from the DVD what he uses.

18. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    On the DVD...check out "In My Time Of Dying", he plays a fretless Precision. And on "Bron Yr Aur Stomp" he plays a weird looking electric upright bass.

19. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Ozone Baby is a good song, great bouncy bass part............

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    A curious bump :cool: