Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme + Parametric EQ = ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MacheteJames, May 13, 2005.

1. So who's running a parametric EQ with their Acme cabinet? I'm looking to pick one up soon, and I just want to make sure that it's worth it. I'm finding that the way the Acme presents the entire frequency range is great in many ways, but sometimes I could use a notch in the low mids to get me heard a little bit better. The one question I have is this: if I EQ my Acme to get that kind of sound (more like Eden or Ampeg), am I defeating the purpose of using an Acme?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Parametric EQ? You know, that's not a bad idea. I'm running an RBI / Crest CA-6 into an Acme B-4 and am very happy with the voicing. An inexpensive Para EQ might be helpful if you hear an annoying "bump" somewhere in the mids. Have you tried dialing out some of the mids in your preamp? Actually, you'd be better off dialing down the midrange attenuator on the back of the Acme while keeping the preamp settings flat.

Riis

3. Actually, what I meant was that I need to boost the low mids, not cut them. I know it's always better to cut than boost, but with a flat cabinet, I'm not sure what the best route to take is. I always run my attenuators all the way up, since I'm dumping 1800 watts into the cab and I don't want to fry them.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I run a grand prix pre amp with Acme boxes. That's 2 bands of semi parametric mid Eq and it's plenty for me.

Personnaly I think the best thing you can do for an acme box is chip away a little of whats below 50hz

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a friend of mine has been using a Raven Labs True Blue EQ box in the loop of his Demeter (?) preamp, and his tone is quite good thru his Acmes.