1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic 360/361 Vintage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by number six, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Hi,
    My sax player has just shown me something that he's been hiding for 20 years or so.
    He has an Acoustic 360 head with 2 361 powereed cabinets.
    A few cobwebs but not in bad condition.

I've spent 4-5 hours gathering info from the web to help him discover what he's got.
    It's missing one control knob and the transformer or whatever it came with to adapt to UK power supplies.

Does anyone know where we can track down serial number dates etc.?

And anyone have any idea what the 3 items would be worth should he wish to sell them?

PS I don't think he understands about the Jaco, JP Jones connections . . . Acoustic 361 Clive.JPG

mindwell, SJan3, vandoorn and 8 others like this.
  2. Go to unofficialacoustic

Everything you want to know ask learn or share is There

You have found The Grail and on that site you will find grail of knowledge sources for parts and lots of great folks

mindwell, Gaolee, vandoorn and 3 others like this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Congratulations to your friend. As a former 360/361 owner, it's nice to see a piece of history emerging from the shadows of storage to rock the house once again.

4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Great amp.

SJan3 likes this.
  5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    You NEED to hook everything up and play through that rig!

Just DO it!

You can thank me later.

6. That is just awesome! I love seeing the older Acoustic stuff and I totally second what Basshappi mentioned above!

7. Number six, you have struck gold!

Before powering it up, I advise getting it checked out.
    There may well be a reason is was put away 20 years ago.
    Even if it was fine when stored, there is a good probability
    that the filter caps have dried out while is was sitting unused.

Once you are sure it is safe to power it up
    expect to be amazed.

theFixer and Aqualung60 like this.
  8. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Ride it don't hide it:thumbsup:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Absolutely agree. Something sitting around that long, you could actually damage it worse than it possibly is if you power it up without getting a clean bill of health from your local competent tech.

As for worth, not allowed to discuss numbers with anyone but supporting members. Don't expect to retire from selling it, but they can be worth a few beans. Certainly enough to clean it up and get it in working shape again.

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Makes you wonder what else the sax player may have squirrelled away. Perhaps a nice bass or guitar that went with the amp.

As for the value in the UK, perhaps ask on basschat, they sell amps here: Amps and Cabs For Sale. The sales value will be much higher if you had a tech bring it up to spec.

11. Used one for many years. Best amp I ever had BUT way too heavy and eventually I couldn't deal with it.

12. Gladly take your burden

Will cost you waaay too much to refurbish so better to donate

and they are quite heavy

Gladly pay for shipping if you decide to donate to me

13. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Haha. I scored one off of the ATL CL a few years back from a fellow over in Marietta. He bought it in 69. I love that thing. I paid $1100

14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Agreed with taking it to a tech. If you found a classic car that was hiding in a barn for 40 years, would you just put gas in it and start driving on the highway without taking it to a mechanic?

Sartori likes this.
  15. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    I tried reviving that rig a few years ago from parts and components - it didn't go very well. I had to ditch it, but I'd love to own one of these some day!

16. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey

Take it to a tech before powering it up. Based on the amount of dust I feel its safe to say the Electrolytic caps in the thing are dried up and probably have drifted. Good chance that speaker will blow once putting some power through it as well. Considering what these things sell for, totally worth fixing and the repairs could be offset by the sale of one of those powered cabs

vandoorn and JJR58 like this.
  17. rodak

rodak

Jun 14, 2005
    Congrats! Can we see a pick of the entire rig?

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If it's working, try not to goof with it too much before you can get it recorded, profiled, modelled, ....
    The true historic amps should get their sound archived before they get hacked.

19. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I still play through a 360/361, but only one cabinet. You scored!

SJan3 likes this.
  20. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I bought a 360/361 brand new back in the 70's. Just like the classic muscle cars of the day, I didn't know what I had. Oh, wish I had had a crystal ball!