1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

acoustic bass finish

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by fredwes, Jan 5, 2012.

1. fredwes

fredwes

Jan 5, 2012
    I am about to finish an acoustic bass. Since this is the only bass I expect to finish, I don't want to deal with making a varnish from any of the countless recipes. I've been checking the threads, and it seems that the two most popular ready made finishes are TruOil and Waterlox. Would readers care to express a preference between these two, or maybe point me towards a different one?

Thanks,
    Fred

2. shellac
    which was traditional you get shellac flakes ,then dissolve in methelated spirits when dissolved, paint on with a sable or camel haired brush fine sand between coats , but experiment first on spare timber

3. George700DL

George700DL

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    I used Formby's "Tung Oil Finish" on my bass. It's has nothing to do with tung oil, it's an ultra thin wiping varnish. I always found TruOil to be too soft.

George

4. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    I re-varnished a bass for a client and on Arnold Schnitzer's recommendation used Waterlox. It was great!

I have used and do use Tru-oil, but to me the waterlox is much more like a real oil varnish. You can use Shellac, but it is a bit less forgiving to apply. The results are nice and it's easy to repair.

The important thing is to practice your finishing schedule on scrap wood to get how it works, color/shading, etc...

Don't practice on the bass!

Hope that helps,
    Brian

5. fredwes

fredwes

Jan 5, 2012
    OK, I think I am convinced to go with Waterlox.But Brian, you shouldn't tell me not to practice on the bass. I've been doing too much not practicing lately!
    Fred

6. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Don't practice VARNISHING on the bass!:D
    BG