1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

active circuit with passive pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slaphappychappy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    So I gutted my active cort bass and put the circuit into my passive bass. It's improved output level, sound, and everything. I was told u couldn't put passive pups in an active circuit .
    So why has this worked??

2. 90% of the time "active" means passive pickups into an onboard preamp of some sort.

There are even a handful of preamps won't work well with active pickups, because they interact with the LCR of the coil.

3. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Generally, most basses have passive pickups. Even basses that are called "active" have passive pickups. It is the active preamp that makes them "active".
    A lot of people get this mixed up, I guess mainly because active guitars have active pickups, not preamps.

4. Active pickups into a preamp are rather rare. It's somewhat pointless to do it that way, as you already have a buffered, low impedance output from the pickups, if they are active.

When people use active pickups, they generally do so with only passive controls.

5. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    my active bass i took the circuit from is now passive and louder than it was, lol.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Either the person who told you that has no clue what the frak he's talking about, or possibly you misunderstood him.