1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active circuitry issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Freez, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    Hello forum, I have encountered a problem with my active Jazz bass, and would like your thoughts. This is the only bass I've ever owned with active circuitry, and I really like the way it sounds, BUT...when playing in a live band situation, the bass just disappears in the mix when I play on the d and g strings past the fifth fret, I mean it literally just drops right out, like I stopped playing. I have adjusted the pickups so they sit a little higher under those strings, but volume is not the problem. It's almost like the bass is creating too much harmonic overtone, and completely losing the fundamental tone of the note when I play up there. Any thoughts? Is my theory valid, and if so, what is the fix? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? I know some players hate active circuitry, and I'm wondering if that could be the reason why? Thanks!

2. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I really doubt that it's the active circuitry that's the problem... how does the Bass sound when it's not plugged in ( I know "Real Quite :D) and you play in those positions that "drop out"? It could even be a lifted fret or something... or the EQ on your amp..... Oh yeah.... what kind of strings are you using?

3. Obviously best to find the real problem, and curing it... but if you have to live with it, a multiband compressor would help. Something that can use different parameters for different frequency ranges.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Guaranteed the active circuitry is not causing any drop-out, and will not "lose" the fundamental of the notes. If you have the treble turned up, then you may be turning down your amp volume to avoid ear-bleed shrillness, and in that case turning down the amp will make it seem like your lows went away.

For people who don't like active onboard electronics, it has nothing to do with any loss of fundamental or disappearing in the mix. Instead for them it usually is just a question of tone (subjective) and maybe some very slight compression or distortion caused by the preamp.

I'm guessing the real culprit here is your EQ settings on the amp competing with the frequency ranges occupied by your bandmates. Read up on "slotting" your EQ so you are not competing with the guitarists for the same frequency ranges.