1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

active/powered speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by klem.gote, Mar 12, 2009.

1. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Hello,

Still trying to figure some things out sound wise. I get a little lost sometimes reading about all the brands and makes of amps, pre-amps, speakers etc. My question is, does anyone here use just a powered speaker with a pre-amp instead of bass heads/amplifiers? Any particular pros or cons, and what kind of gear are we looking at? Thanks!!!

2. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
  3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    seamonkey is one TBDBer who posts re: powered PA style speakers sometimes. Maybe you could PM him, or maybe he'll chime in unprompted.

4. I recently bought some JBL PRX-512's for PA - http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=45&MId=3
    I tried my bass through one and was very impressed. They're lightweight and powerful, and have a very neutral 'studio monitor' sound, thank to the on-board digital processing. Much smoother than any of the other powered PA speakers I've used (Mackie, EV, RCF), and don't have any of the colouring you get from 'bass amps'.
    A nice bonus is an XLR/jack input connection, and a mic/line level switch; because my EUB has a built-in preamp, I have done gigs where I took nothing but the JBL box and the bass.

5. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Hi! That JBL sounds like what I might be looking for. I played through something like that a while back and it was great, very natural sounding top to bottom, no coloring at all, and just a very little bit of tweaking with my Fishman Plat. EQ. I found one close enough for me to try out. I also heard that Fishman makes a PA system that's supposed to be very good as well but the local Guitar Center just sold the last one they had. Thanks for the info, might be just what I need!!

6. Passive Bass ---> Groove Tubes Ditto (DI.Tube pre) ---> Carvin LS1503a (powered speaker).

Absolutely heavenly tone. Defined, articulate, warm with awesome range. I recommend the 3-way approach with a mid cone so much more than a 2-way with just woofer and horn. The tone suits my playing 90% of the time - it'll work for anything but funk imo.
    Crazy good with fretless.
    Hope this helps.

7. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Yes thanks for the info. Interesting.