1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adam Clayton's Sparkle 'P'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderitter, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Ok, I make no qualms about my admiration for what Adam Clayton does on the bass for U2. I'd happily stand in his shoes, but this thread is not about his playing.

So did anyone catch him on SNL tonight with that wicked Sparkle 'P' complete with tug bar? Way cool IMHO! Initially the lighting made it look purple, but at the end of the second song it looked silver to me.

Now, unlike his gold sparkle J that had a few close-ups pre inauguration, the camera-folks didn't give me enough angles/close-ups to definitively id the bass. From a distance, the headstock looked more Lakland than Fender, but can anyone tell me more?

EDIT: Here's a pic courtesy of dannster

3957584056_997057b1ae_o.

superdick2112 likes this.
  2. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    I thought you're talking about Alleva Coppolo :D

3. hkroy

hkroy

Nov 3, 2007
    Hong Kong
    me too:cool:

4. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Point taken - title changed!

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I want a purple P so bad

6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Not a Lakie...that is for sure....Lakland TRIED to make him a gold sparkle that I played...it was one of the MOST AWESOME playing and feeling Js I have ever played but he did not like the color....

I KNOW they did not make him a purple sparkle P......hmmm...you got me curious now...

7. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Matching headstock, perloid pickguard and blocked neck too.

Just watched it again and there's one good shot of the headstock, which definitely looks Fender, although with all those mods it might be a SX.

As per my edited first post - post second song I'm pretty sure it was most likely a silver sparkle.

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    pics?

9. The gold one definitely said Fender on the headstock. I couldn't see the logo on the purple one clearly enough to tell. I want that purple one in a bad way!

10. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I saw it too, at first I thought it was a Lakland Duck Dunn. It had the matching headstock, and blocks and binding on the neck. However, I will differ to the lakland addict, lol. I am no lakland expert.
    I also noticed he was playing through two aggie stacks with two DB750's. That's a lot of power, I wonder how big the SNL studio is.

11. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I saw that too.....Mentioned here.

That bass didn't have the lakland bridge or the a/c headstock.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1lara1/3957584056/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1lara1/3956804831/sizes/o/

This one is pretty close to giving up. Might just be a Fender.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dharma69/3953424841/sizes/l/

Looks like Fender to me. this is a big pic!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghostrider2112/3952802580/sizes/o/

12. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    If Lakland would make me a gold sparkle bass I sure wouldnt bitc*h about the color. sheesh...

13. Other than the sparkle in the purple one it looks like the color of Wyzards bass from Mothers Finest....looks like a Fender...way cool.
    Maybe Fenders next sig......that'd be happenin' :hyper:

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

15. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player Supporting Member

Looked like he played three basses for the three songs. To me, anyway. They were all pretty cool!! I was thinking the same thing about all those Aguilar stacks on that tiny stage..must have been LOUD!!

16. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Wow that is one killer looking Fender. Did Adam at one time play jazzes too?

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    It is strongly evident that he is playing a Fender P bass(and no I'm not being sarcastic).

18. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Clearly see the 'F' reflected in this one:

3953424841_ee5be6a32c_b.

19. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA

Right at the end of this clip you can get a good view of the silver sparkle P. AC's obviously been keeping the custom shop busy!

I'm off to see them on Tuesday so I look forward to seeing whether it will be one bass gig or a multiple bass gig.

As for the Aggie stack, I remember Letterman commenting on the 'thump' of the bass after they did their first night of five on his show.

Anyway my sparkle bass gas has come back with a vengeance and here's me thinking my Wishbass refinishing would get me back onto natural woods again. :D