Adults who have braces, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bam Bam, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Bam Bam

Bam Bam

Apr 17, 2005
    New Boston, NH
    Any adults out there sporting a metal mouth? I just got my braces "installed" Yesterday and OMG my teeth are loose and in pain!
    I think I beat everyone in there (age wise) by about 20 years!
    Once in a while I get a Mic shock while singing at church. Maybe now I'll have a lightning bolt come flyin out of my mouth. that would freak some people out.
  2. I've never had to wear braces so I don't really know what you go through. There have been many advances recently and it's not quite the metal mouth, head gear look of the 80's right? They have those invisible ones?

I've had a few friends get them as adults and they were very embarassed by it. Almost as if it was only for kids. Stuff goes wrong with you at any age and if ya gotta wear 'em, wear 'em.
  3. Many contemporary rappers have opted for braces.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    And when it feels like your teeth have finally recovered and are kinda fixed in your mouth again, they pull on those braces! Bastards! Yeah, I've been there, it was painful, but worth it.
  5. I'm 13 and have had my braces for 2 years and are finally getting them off next month! From the day I got them, never had one problem, no pain, no nothing. I've had a few taken off and put back on so when people try and scare you and say when they take them off it hurts, dont believe them. Hope you dont have to have them on as long as I did, but time flys and you get used to them. Much luck!:D

~:bassist: Michelle:bassist: ~
    *(Mikes daughter)*
  6. Actually taking them off hurts a lot. They air out your mouth with this thing that gives your teeth this sharp pain. I can't describe it, but it hurts a bunch. They don't even give you ice cream when they're done. :crying:
  7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Getting them taken off is the best feeling in the world. My teeth felt so smooth afterwards. This was about 5 years ago. Now I have 6 stupid braces on the back of my 6 front lower teeth. No one knows they're there, not even me. I guess one could call me an adult with braces (technically). But wouldn't call myself that. It's just a metal wire attached to the back of my teeth by this random white cement.
  8. I have that too. It's a substitute for a lower retainer. At first I noticed it, but now I don't.
  9. Jazzin'

When do we get these things off? Are they in our mouthes forever? I'm too scared to ask my orthodentist.
  10. Indefinitely. If they take it off, your teeth will probably move out of position.
  11. well, I'm 18, so I legally qualify to post here. (lol) Have had mine on since my freshman year of high school, and I'm graduating in May, so it's been one hell of a stupid/annoying trip for myself. I have a serious overbite, not noticeable to anyone that doesn't already know, but basically, I didn't see much of a reason to get brces to "fix" my teeth when I have an over bite. (like fixing the paint on a totaled car im my mind.) I have not like to ortho since day one, he's a rich yuppy douche bag who sits in his office on the phone allday planning golfing retreats/vacations. When it comes time for him to check you out, he stops by, says "Mhmm" and is gone before I see him (hes like batman) Finally I've had it with him, and am demanding he takes this metal out of my mouth, now, I'm done with him. I really can't believe I've put up with his dumb ass for all these years. :rollno:

12. Jazzin'

At least I have straight teeth ->:D
  13. Bam Bam

Bam Bam

Apr 17, 2005
    New Boston, NH
    My cheeks are like hamburg
  14. Bam Bam

Bam Bam

Apr 17, 2005
    New Boston, NH
    OK, 3rd day with the train tracks!
    Not only are they sore but my cheeks are shredded from the hooks on some of the brackets.
    I also have these posts on the upper inside which jab my tongue all day long.
    What the heck are those things for? I forgot to ask them when I left.
    I'm 37, bald, glasses, and braces! Ya, a real chick magnet! At least my wife likes it.
  15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Enjoy it while it lasts :p She might stop liking it when the food gathered under the posts starts to rot :D
  16. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    True. Worse yet, these behind the teeth braces don't necessarilly replace the need for a retainer. I had them put behind four teeth on the top and bottom rows and I still have to wear braces. Being the manly man I am, I actually manually removed the lower level myself (they were kind of falling apart and scratching the hell out of my gums). I don't wear either of my retainers and I've survived thus far... I probably should, but I just don't care that much.
  17. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I've known several women in their 30's and 40's who got braces, and I thought they looked sexy as hell! Must be a flashback to high school days, but whatever. I told most of them that they looked sexy with braces, and most blushed like crazy- totally embarassed!! One got all teary on me, and one just got pissed off. I wasn't trying to hit on them, either, I was actually trying to get them over their self-conscious stage. They were all friends of mine.
  18. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    During this time, dental care is your friend.

After mine were off I had 7 cavities. It was horrible.
  19. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Welcome to my world. When the chemo gets going and the mouth sores are raging, that's what it's like. At least it don't affect your fingers!

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  20. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've been considering it for years, but my insurance wont cover adult orthodontia.