advice on a teacher (reggie wooten content)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Mar 23, 2004.

1. ok I live about an hour from nashville and I've decided to get a teacher to teach technique (tapping mostly,but also double thumbing,and other slap techniques)...I really wanna take lessons from Reggie "the teacha" Wooten...but driving a total of 2 hours for a 30minute bass lesson would be a pain...esp, when I don't have that great of a car...I would take lessons around here, but there are NO good bass teachers...i went to one guy for a month and I ended up teaching him stuff...WASTE OF MONEY!! I am completely self taught. Would it be benificial to make the trek to Reg or try to learn the techniques on my own? also has anyone had any experience with Wooten? thanks.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I went to the last Bass/nature camp. Regi(reggie reji, reggi..etc.) was there, I had one master class with him, and talked to him afterward about the matrix(one of his recent favorite movies)

he's a very out-there guy, It's kind of hard to keep up with him because he just loves extrapolating things and branching off with different thoughts, and saying all these weird isomorphisms. It's really fun to listen to him talk because he just gets so into what he's saying, and he has this inflection where he says "knowwhatImean?" or "seewhatImean?" like really fast at the end of every sentence. :)

that said, he is a capable teacher, But I wouldn't go out of your way just to get a lesson with him. especially since you don't even know his schedule, if he'd even be available and all that. He's a very 'outside of the box' thinker but from what I experienced, his teaching style is pretty dry and "put your fingers here to do this cool thing, but your fingers there to do that cool thing"

I dunno, that may or may not be your thing. :meh:
  3. I wish I knew some good bass teachers around here...there is an INCREDIBLE upright teacher at the university, but I'm not focusing on upright right now...
  4. moj

Apr 4, 2004
    regarding Regi Wooten, "Teacha", the day you start to
    study with Regi will be the greatest day in music for you.
    The drive from Cookeville to Nashville is a short drive
    just long enough to listen to your tape of the last lesson.
    Regi is a great person to learn from, he is very sincere
    about his Playing, and there is no one who knows more about
    the music of America, GO!!!!!
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMO, there's your decision.
    (Otherwise, I would keep your AAA contract current & then pray they'll answer your call in a timely manner).

Personally, I would check out the INCREDIBLE upright teacher you mentioned.

Regi is great(for some reason, he reminds me of Hiram Bullock); I sure miss the daze when he & his brothers played around here in bar bands.