1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

advice on adding a tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombass, Mar 11, 2009.

1. tombass

tombass

Dec 28, 2008
    I have been playing through my guitarists ampeg cab at rehearsle. It has the bullet tweeter in it, which I like alot. My Ampeg 4x10 doesnt have the tweeter. Is it fairly easy to add the tweeter to my cab? thanks.

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    you can't just add a tweeter..you must have a crossover network in the box as well.
    personally I disconnect the tweeters in my cabs, I have no use for them

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The tone of the guitar speakers vs. bass speakers is very different...until you destroy them.

If you like the tone of a guitar cab, perhaps that's the way to go. Play it quietly to avoid damage and mike it.

4. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Actually you can just add a tweeter without the crossover network. I've done that to my old Peavey 2-15 cabinet. But I suppose you won't get all the benefits that the crossover will provide.

I just tied them into the existing speaker wires....works, and still working after 20+ years.

5. tombass

tombass

Dec 28, 2008
    sorry guys......I should have been more specific. The cab is a bass cab (Ampeg 4x10 HLF).

Is the crossover just a fixed circuit board?

thanks

6. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I've heard that piezo tweeters don't require a tweeter, in the fibreglass cab thread.
    Is that true? If so, I might add one to my upcoming cab project :ninja:

7. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    An Xover.

I believe most piezo tweeters act like a basic 1st order high pass filter, but has not effect on cutting highs from the woofer.

If you run without an Xover you will likely be operating in over lapping frequency ranges.

For something PA or reference quality, this is absolutely unacceptable. (as are most cheap piezos).

For a musical instrument speaker one may like the way this sounds. Personally I prefer a well designed speaker system. Not a cookie cutter, slap this in the box and it'll make some trebley noise.

Which is how most bass cab manufacturers do it.

Its not a simple task to do right or well.

Antone-