Advice on technique

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by SweepyCoalson, Apr 30, 2012.

1. SweepyCoalson

SweepyCoalson

Apr 30, 2012
    Nashville
    Bought a bass recently and I was wondering if you kind folks here would give me some advice on slapping technique.

Maybe es bueno? - YouTube

:bag:

2. Well, since nobody's biting, I will! Sounds and looks good. For my monies, I like to hear a big fat fundamental tone, which is in large part a function of your left hand. I'm not impressed with super-fast slapping if there isn't a firm foundation of left hand technique and musicality to back it up. Tone, rhythm (placing notes, not slapping) and intonation should be foremost, and play with getting the best sounding note on the first pulled slap of the right hand.

Keep those notes stopped firmly, and concentrate on getting a good round tone, even on quick moving notes. Be actively conscious of not rushing through the eight note and triplet slaps so you don't lose place of your downbeats. They're not as fast as you think...think sloooooow.

You've got the idea, now practice it with a metronome for hours and hours to build your stamina!

3. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    +1 For some reason when slapping lots of people, myself included, tend to speed up. I like to think that I keep good time when playing fingerstyle but for some reason I have to work harder at it when slapping.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021