1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AER BASIC PERFORMER

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bago varna, Feb 21, 2008.

1. bago varna

bago varna

Oct 5, 2005
    Bulgaria
    Does anyone has some impression of this german-made combo?Though I`ve already ordered one from Chuck Levin in DC I would be thankfull to get some info!Thanks!

2. Basicbassist

Basicbassist

Feb 9, 2007
    New Jersey
    Having had one for two years now, I can honestly say that the AER Basic Performer is the best sounding bass amp I've ever used. Its sound is, to co-opt a popular phrase on these pages, "the sound of your bass only louder." It projects sound especially well - people in the back of the room comment on its "presence.) It has highly sensitive EQ'ing, power to spare (four independly powered 60w 8" speakers) and every imaginable electronic interface. I could go on, but I don't think I have to. You get the picture: you made a good choice. Enjoy it!

3. bago varna

bago varna

Oct 5, 2005
    Bulgaria
    Thank you for sharing your experience with me!Cheers!

4. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    We'll be reviewing this amp extensively in one of the first issues of Bass Gear magazine...

5. danbas

danbas

Oct 22, 2007
    Copenhagen, DK
    Any idea when this review might see the light of day? Really like what I've seen of the magazine so far, can't wait to see more. But would especially like to read about some experiences with DB and the AER amps, especially the Amp One and Basic Performer.

6. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Due to a technical problem with the supplied review amp, we won't be reviewing till issue 2 at this point. Issue 1 is ALMOST IN THE CAN! Sorry to all for the delay...but "we are going where no man has before" and it took much more time than expected. Specifically in the area of amp and cabinet specs. Oh boy...there's gonna be a lot of surprises...WE are surprised.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just to add to Martin's note, while much of the magazine was 'in the can', we did end spending a lot more time than anticipated working on our test methodology for the bench testing component of our reviews. We wanted to make our tests as accurate as possible, and as fair as possible. But, as there really are no complete set of standards with regard to measurements in a music industry context, we wanted to look at what kind of specs were out there, and make sure that what we were reporting would make sense when considered in a similar context. This proved to be no easy task, and in the end, what we will be reporting will in some ways differ from what you may have seen, previously. But, we hope that in addition to being fair and accurate, you find our tests useful. I really hated to delay things as long as we have, but I am happy with the results of the extra time spent.

So, if we can beg just a tad bit more of your patience, we hope to have issue #1 to you just as soon as we can!

Thanks, Tom.

8. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Damn...you should be a lawyer.:help:

9. Yesterday I had the chance to try Basic Performer, and comparing to my gear, (I have GK 700RB and a custom made "10 speaker, I use a Realist) it sounded better than my amp, had more natural highs and a bit faster low end. With bow sounded good as well. A month ago I've tried Basscube at the same store, and that was very-very amazing(for almost twice the price than B.Performer). It had very nice highs and hi-mids, much better that I ever heard. And the low end was very round and fast. So Basic performer is not SO great in my opinion but still a very good amp. If anyone has the money to buy a Basscube, that's the thing.

10. Frits

Frits

Sep 21, 2007
    Belgium (Europe)
    I've used it quite some time, but switched eventually to a Bergantino IP112 + Fishman Platinum ProEQ preamp + Realist transducer.

The AER Basic performer does allright, but lacks volume and in my case, could not move the air fast enough.

The setup I use now has it all: simplicity (lots of too little knobs on the AER), no feedback (can stand way back from the amp so I can hear myself playing from a distance), volume, natural sound. Arco as well a s pizz.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I just missed getting one of these this evening for $700. A friend beat me to it. I was very impressed with this combo with electric bass.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The friend who bought the Basic Performer just sold it to me. So far I'm digging it for electric bass.

13. jotabass

jotabass

Aug 3, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am selling mine (decent almost pristine condition AER basic performer) if someone wants it. It's at our old apartment at central park north and I'm asking $750! selling because I decided to go back to MarkBass products. And I would add that I find the sound of the AER totally amazing in its transparency, projection, and general quality. Just don't have a way to ride the subway with it alongside upright and sometimes electric basses in tow. my info if anyone is interestednor knows someone: jonas tauber, 646 247 0294