Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Affordable (<$100) stereo A/D convertor

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Any suggestions? I know ART makes one.

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    What do you need one for? Less than a $100 for a stand alone AD converter is kinda unrealistic.

3. Extremely basic computer recording. My computer has a S/PDIF input built-in. I want to use the synth sounds on my S30 rather than using it as a MIDI controller for a soft-synth, and I want to be able to record bass and vocals through an outboard mic preamp into the computer.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I think the best way to go it to just break down and get an affordable sound card or interface. Look at the M-audio Duo. USB, 2 mic pre's, 2 line outs and headphone jack. They do a good job. Even cheaper is their mobile pre, which is under 200 I think. In my experience you really need about 300 bucks to get something decent.

5. That's not a bad idea at all--it's certainly cheaper than what I was planning on.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Check out the M Audio Audiophile 2496 while you're at it. It has a MIDI interface along with 24bit/96khz conversion. MF has it for $200. I think the PCI version has been out for a while, and the USB version just came out.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Edirol makes a USB a/d and d/a converter. Has 2 (r/l) RCA's in and out. I think they are about 85 bucks. It's 16 bit, 44.1 kHz. It's the same quality of cds anyways. If you don't do a ton of processing, you won't notice much of a difference anyways. It's also easier on the processor.