1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Affordable (<$100) stereo A/D convertor

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Any suggestions? I know ART makes one.

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    What do you need one for? Less than a $100 for a stand alone AD converter is kinda unrealistic.

3. Extremely basic computer recording. My computer has a S/PDIF input built-in. I want to use the synth sounds on my S30 rather than using it as a MIDI controller for a soft-synth, and I want to be able to record bass and vocals through an outboard mic preamp into the computer.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I think the best way to go it to just break down and get an affordable sound card or interface. Look at the M-audio Duo. USB, 2 mic pre's, 2 line outs and headphone jack. They do a good job. Even cheaper is their mobile pre, which is under 200 I think. In my experience you really need about 300 bucks to get something decent.

5. That's not a bad idea at all--it's certainly cheaper than what I was planning on.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Check out the M Audio Audiophile 2496 while you're at it. It has a MIDI interface along with 24bit/96khz conversion. MF has it for $200. I think the PCI version has been out for a while, and the USB version just came out.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Edirol makes a USB a/d and d/a converter. Has 2 (r/l) RCA's in and out. I think they are about 85 bucks. It's 16 bit, 44.1 kHz. It's the same quality of cds anyways. If you don't do a ton of processing, you won't notice much of a difference anyways. It's also easier on the processor.