1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

aguilar db750 vs. Epifani UL-902C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lanceropolis, Apr 8, 2009.

1. lanceropolis

lanceropolis

Mar 10, 2009
    So. Cal
    I guess here is my question. Always have wanted the aguilar, for 10+ years, and now that it is time, I wonder if anything else is as good for cheaper. I don't need 750 watts at this point, so I am wondering if the Epifani will be the head to go with. I have the Epifani 410, just wanna get some feedback on sound of both etc...

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If you have a 410UL, I would stay away from the DB750. The huge low end of that amp, and minimal EQ control (especially in the mids) does NOT line up well with the deep low end and relatively polite mids of the 410UL. This is well documented.

The 902 also doesn't make much sense with a single cab, since it is a non-bridgable dual power amp design. If you like the Epifani voicing (creamy, fat and a little on the dark side) and have a single 410UL (4ohm), the Epi502 will drive the 410UL to full volume in a smaller, lighter, much less expensive package.

If you don't need HUGE volume, the new Puma500 is a beautiful, fat, smooth, warm sounding head with a 4ohm 410UL that has much of the Epifani amps creamy, fat low end, but MUCH better control of the mids, and a more prominent top end (if you want it... it's easily dialed back with the 'taste' overall voicing knob). It doesn't quite have the balls and volume of the 502, but is 1/3 the size and weight, and a few hundred bucks less. It gets PLENTY loud for most applications though.

IMO and IME.

3. lanceropolis

lanceropolis

Mar 10, 2009
    So. Cal
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. You have really helped me. I am going to check out the 502 and the puma. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have to agree with Ken on this one. I absolutely love my DB750. Last night it delivered quite possibly the sweetest live tone I've ever had... That said, its because I've paired it with the right cab. DB750 plus Epifani UL cabs equals disaster.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

No problem. However, it's just me:D Give your thread some time to get more feedback from others.

I assume you do have a 4ohm 410UL, is that correct? If so, I'm pretty comfortable with my post above. If it's an 8ohm model, or an older NYC/T model, I would revise my suggestions just a touch (although still would not recomment the DB750 or 902).

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 My comment on the DB750 was strictly in regards to the Epi410UL, not the performance of that head in general.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Again, assuming you dig the more fat, creamy, warm tones of the Epi amps and also the DB750, you might want to consider this amp, which seems to be FINALLY making it to market.

It's basically a 1000 watt single channel version of the 502. It has a nice 'adjustable scoop' control versus the 'all or nothing' contour switch of the 902. If it had the semi-parametric mids of the bottom channel of the 902/502, it would possibly be the perfect amp for a 4ohm 410UL.

It has a switching power supply, so it's lighter than the 502, and about $500 less (about half the price of the 902).

It looks nice!

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epifani-PS-1000-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=483086

Ken

8. lanceropolis

lanceropolis

Mar 10, 2009
    So. Cal
    KJung, what about pairing the db750 with an eden410xlt? I just can't get over my aguilar fetish... sigh... ;)

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm surely not an expert on the DB750, and also have no idea if the DB751 will be a little 'better behaved' in the mids or not. So, not sure there.

You might want to do a search on the DB750. Since it is rather picky on cab pairings, there are a LOT of posts describing favorite cabs, etc.

I know a lot about the various 410UL models, and know it doesn't play well with the DB750, but that's about as far as it goes with my DB750 experience.

You might want to PM Tber Big String... he has a lot of 'mix and match' experience. I know the Bergantino AE410 and HS410 get pretty high marks with the DB750, and of course, the large, sealed Bergantino NV610 is almost made for that head. I've seen a number of posts liking the Aguilar GS410 with that head also.

K

10. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have no experience with that Eden cab, so I can't say anything directly. What I can do is reiterate that the DB750, to my ears, really needs a tight and focused cab to sound best.

I've been using mine with a Schroeder 410R and its great. I've tried it with Epifani UL, Acme and GK Neo cabinets and been very disappointed.

If the Eden cab is described as a very tight and focused sounding cab (check the TB reviews section, harmony-central user reviews, etc. etc.) it will likely be a good match. If its described as wide, modern, etc. you'll probably want to look elsewhere.

11. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I'll throw my input in here, if I may...

KJung is definitely correct in saying that the DB750 is picky when it comes to certain cabinets. However, what it came down to (for me) was the simple fact that there is nothing out there like the DB750, so it warranted finding the right cab to work with it. I already had two GS112's and a GS410 when I bought my DB750. Once I heard it through a Bergantino HT322, my search was over. The HT322 replaced all three Aguilar cabinets, and only my back regrets it. The Berg HS410 is massively impressive as well, and either that (or a pair of HT112's/HS210's) will join the lineup next.

If you are aching for a DB750, then get one. If that's what you've been wanting for so long, there isn't anything else that will do it for you. Trust me, I know this from personal experience.

You can always mix and match cabinets. :D

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That's the exact rig that made me fall in love with the DB750. A buddy of mine was playing a P Bass through a DB750/D410XLT, and the sound was amazing.

And I normally am not a fan of P Basses.;)

13. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Its kind of fun to track the amp forums and watch others spin in their own GAS endlessly searching for the right amp/cab combo once you own a DB750 and NV610.:smug:

14. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    DB750 and an NV610.... Why is there no drool emoticon? That's a pairing that only Stan Smith could qualify:

"Its as if God kissed me with a mouth full of scotch."

:p

15. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    If you really want to stick with the DB 750, you should also check out the DB series cabs because they are supposed to be tight, punchy, warm and middy.

16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I currently have a GS-412 and an HT-322. Right now I'm using the 412 with my Thunderfunk 440 and it sounds great (sounded even better with the HT-322) but I wanted a little more headroom and grunt so I've got a DB-750 on order, should be here next week.
    It never dawned on me to hook the DB750 up to the HT322, I just assumed it would be a natural fit for the GS412. The one thing I love about the 322 is the top end, crisp and clear not piercing like the 412 tweeter and of course the size.
    If the OP is really set on getting a DB750 I'll A/B the two cabs with the 750 next week and post some observations if it helps. You can find used 322's on the Bay and here on TB all the time for between $400 and $600.
    Hey, is it possible to run both cabs at the same time with the 750, they're both 4ohm? It will either be one big fart or a massive wall of sound.

17. Ive been wanting a db750 for years. Too expensive here in aus though :(
    Damn you guys for telling me it pairs great with my cab (berg hs410). I was happy in my ignorant bliss....

18. Rimo

Rimo

Sep 28, 2008
    Australia
    The Glockenklang Heart Rock is a great amp to consider with an HS410 and is a whole lot more affordable than the DB750 in AUS. IMO performs just as well and better and can overdrive nicely which is unheard of from a SS head. This is one of my considerations after hearing it but now I have an opportunity for a Sadowsky SA200. :meh:

19. Very lucky! I was so distraught when they stopped makin the sadowsky. Thats the amp id be lookin at over the db.

20. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    I'm a DB750 user of some 5 years and love it, but, I'd like to hear an SA200 really just to hear if it'd be loud enough? (I'm sure the tone is fabulous) I bought the DB750 as I was running out of juice with a bridge mono Eden WT800B, it was rated at 1100w into 4ohms, the DB has much more headroom even though it's 750w into 4ohms? Aguilar amps sound best with Aguilar cabs in my experience.

Don't know if the SA would have enough juice for me? Love to have one though. :rollno: