1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar OB3 or Bartolini EQ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Darshan, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Darshan

Darshan

Feb 27, 2008
    I'm ordering a Mayones Be4 bass and I am contemplating upgrading to the Aguilar OB3 rather than the Bartolini 2 Band EQ. The pick ups are Bartolini jazz pickups and the bass is made from amazaque. Could anyone with experience with these two different pre-amps possibly give me some advice/outline any differences between the two.

Thanks

2. Hi Darshan, I just signed up here and this is my first post.
    I saw your post and I want to say, I have the aguilar OB3 circuit in one of my basses.
    It's a great circuit and very flexable with getting different types of tones. It is also on the high output side. But, over all I am happy with it...
    I don't know about the Bartolini 2 band EQ. I never had Bartolini's but one of my favorite bass player ( Jeff Berlin) uses them...

Hope this help you out a little....
    Paulie D.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I recently had a set of Bartolini Classic Bass J-style pickups wired into my Mike Lull J-style 5-string, which has an 18-volt Agular OBP-3 preamp. IMO the Bartolini pickups/Aguilar OBP-3 preamp pair up well. The OBP-3 has a lot of power to cut or boost, -although I've never found it necessary to do any drastic cutting or boosting. IMO the "flat" sound of the OBP-3 is very good to begin with.

My bass has a passive/active switch; I find the Bart's sound very Fender-ish in passive mode. In active mode, I now have sounds that I wasn't able to get from my old Duncan single coils, because of 60-cycle hum.

I've never tried a Bartolini preamp connected to J-style pickups. I do have a Roscoe 6-string with Bart soapbars and a Bart preamp. IMO the Bart preamp has a great sound, I especially like how it's high end sounds slightly compressed. But for whatever reason, it's very noisy in a few of the clubs I play at compared to my Lull with it's Aggie preamp. One of my next projects is to have my Roscoe's Bart preamp replaced with an OBP-3.

4. Darshan

Darshan

Feb 27, 2008
    Thanks!