Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Beets, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I've been reading the forum since 1999 and in that whole time I can't recall anybody complaining about a problem with their Aguilar gear. Maybe you really do get what you pay for. Either Aguilar gear is very reliable, or owner loyalty is so high that no one would talk about it here on the forum. It could be both. Over the years I have had nothing but headaches with getting gear repaired. You have to first try to find a local tech who knows something and then pay extra to get to the front of the line. Or box it up and send it back to the factory and hope they get around to it. I don't want to deal with problems like that again. Of course the sound is most important when buying a new bass head. But reliability is right up there too. I've been able to get a great sound out of all the Aguilar I have tried. How about it Aguilar people, is this gear built as well as I think it is?? :eyebrow:

2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    In my time I've owned and used the following Aguilar Gear:

Used:
    Two GS112s with covers
    DB659 preamp
    DB924 outboard preamp
    GS115 cabinet

New:
    GS410 cabinet and cover

The only issue I've ever had (aside from Fedex destroying a DB750 in transit) was that the horn in my GS410 wasn't physically attached to the cab when I took it out of the box. Four .15 screws later, I was good to go. Dave B. personally apologized to me for that oversight, tracked the serial number to who was on shift, and presumably followed-up internally.

That's service. Aguilar products are top quality, no question.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Great gear, great quality control, and top-notch customer service is why you don't hear any sob stories regarding Aguilar.

I had an issue once, but Aguilar jumped to the occassion and righted it immediately. Delivery of a brand new GS410 cab, still sealed in box, had one driver with a misaligned voice coil, which CAN happen during shipping. I heard the buzzing, called the dealer who shipped it to me, they gave me the name and number of who to talk to at Aguilar. Three days later, I had a new driver in my hands at no cost to me.

Issues will happen with ANY manufacturer, whether it be parts/component related or shipping related. The key is how much the company cares to assist the customer when it DOES happen. I'll bet you'll never hear of a cold-solder joint with an Aguilar product, they screen the heck out of their gear before it leaves their hands, but things can happen AFTER it leaves their hands, and because they value their customers and their own good name, they handle the issues promptly and professionally.

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Nope.

I would venture to say it's built better than you think it is. I've been to the factory a couple of times and have had the opportunity to see the workings of the shop up close and personal, and it's a first class operation all the way. The shop is spotless and well-organized. The crew is small in number but highly skilled and dedicated. Having had the pleasure of getting to know Dave Boonshoft (Owner) and Dave Avenuis over the last couple of years I can assure you that no way does anything sit around until someone finally gets to it.

Of all the Aguilar gear I've owned over the years the only "problem" I encountered was due to a broken preamp tube that was the result of me dropping my DB750. Replaced the tube myself with Aguilar's help. Cost me $10.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've had nothing but good service and great reliability with my gear.

I own the following
    DB924
    DB359
    DB680
    DB728
    2 GS 112s

I recently had an issue with my DB359 and didn't want to ship it. I contacted the store where I purchased it. Talked to the aguilar folks who told me what the problem was and was able to get a fixed without shipping.

The biggest problem I had was getting the tech to look at it. That's a problem anywhere I guess, but I saved a ton in shipping and I didn't have to worry about what could happen to it in shipping.

The build quality is awesome. I knew it was great when the tech called me to tell me who great he thought the unit was put together.

I've owned aguilar stuff for awhile and it is definitely one of the best sounding and quality pieces of gear I own

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I don't think I can stop myself from ordering an AG 500SC. I need to find out if I pay for it through one of their authorized dealers, will Aguilar direct ship. I know Stewart and several other companies do. There is nothing like the thrill of getting your new amp in a factory sealed carton direct to your door. Untouched by anyone at the music store or warehouse who might be curious to see "what it looks like". It would make me sick to think of someone touching it or twiddling the knobs before I do. I guess I will have to make a few calls next week. Thanks for the responses.

7. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Joe....and anyone else who might be interested. With regard to your NEW unsealed box, you might like to know that many companies/manufacturers STRONGLY "suggest" that dealers open and inspect all of their merchandise when it arrives at stores and warehouses. Why? Shipping damage. And it's often hidden when it occurs.

If you're forced to buy your gear "through the mail" develop a relationship with a dealer that you can trust and then feel good about them giving it the once-over BEFORE you get it. If they're REALLY good, you'll never even know that the tape has been slit. :cool:

If it's going to "make you sick" to have someone check it out before you get it, have them send you a FREE bottle of Tylenol with every purchase. :D

8. R Briere

PS: Aguilar fans, past-present and future, might want to check out the latest edition of Bass Player magazine. The 500 is reviewed and if you're "on the edge" about becoming an Aguilar owner, I think that the review will make you want to reach for your piggy-bank. :D

9. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I own 2 GS 112's. They've performed flawlessly except for a tweeter diaphragm that blew on me when my brother decided to run his guitar through my rig. Dave Boonshoft personally responded to my talkbass post. Three days after my online order and e-mail to tech support I had not only a brand new diaphragm but an e-mail with detailed yet concise directions on how to change the diaphragm.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hopefully Vanselus will chime in,

but gents like himself arent too happy with the warranty, where most of the repairs are paid by the customer. dunno how its been lately, but i've had nothing but good experiences with the gents at Ag.

also, i've met Dave B. personally several times, and he's nothing short of a class act, who along with Nick Epifani, Roger Sadowsky, Jimmy Coppola, the gents at Fodera, make living in NYC a bass players' paradise. :cool:

EDIT:

sorry for not answering this earlier, but no doubt.

i've seen some pretty atrocious products from a few well respected small shops that we know and love on this board, and yet, aguilar has yet to fail me with the various pieces i've owned and seen in countless shops, i.e. GS112, GS210, DB359, DB680, and my current joy, a DB728.

also, when aguilar was picked up by GC as a dealer, i thought, "oh crap, there goes the quality". but from south NJ to union square, i have yet to see anything remotely disappointing. great job, dave!

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Makes me want an aguilar even more and more.. Maybe i'l just get a 212 now, and add a 212 later... Damn you all :p

12. Or you could go out get a 4x12 and a month later geta a 4x10 to sit on top...but then again some would call that blasphemy...I on the other hadn call it beauty.

-Vince

P.S. nothing but A++++ for aguilar...i was a hardcore SWR guy for a 2 years and not im saving up to get a db750 or a 680/728 to make up a full aguilar rig. You wont be dissappointed.

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    to be fair, this was a scenario where he wasn't the original owner of the gear. Aguilars warranty is pretty clear it only applies to original owner.
    Definitely, met him at a show and was genuinely interested in hearing my opinions on their gear.

14. R Briere

Many of the posts on this and other forums point to one VERY important point; develop relationships with the "small builders", be they makers of basses or amps, while they're still small. Enjoy the fun of being apart of their families and make them a part of yours. There seems to be a common thread which occurs in our tiny musical world--the little guy does his job well--and then VERY well--and when they become noticable in the marketplace the giant behemoth swoops down and buys him, his name, his ideas...........and tromps them into the ground. Sad indeed.

The Music "Business"--Where we happily eat our own young and toss their bones in the trash without so much as a thought of remorse. Gotta' Love Corporate America. :rolleyes:

15. I've owned my DB750 for about 2 months now. The thing is a built like a tank. I popped the hood to check out the guts, and WOW!! this thing was well thought out, and the wiring and all looks like a piece of art. The sound is incredible with tone to die for. And did I mention TRUE power ratings, Not this "oh yah, this thing pumps out 5000watts and it's only $199."

I dished out the extra cash to buy new. I love a 10 year warranty.

I'm in the process of convincing my wife I NEED a GS412, or settle for a 212. I'm eager to try their cabs out.

As far as customer service, I emailed them 2 or 3 times with questions, and got a response within the day every time.

A+ in my book.

16. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Maybe we musicians as a group are so used to totally crapola customer service that when someone like Aguilar, EA, Epifani, Sadowsky, Lull etc give us the service we deserve and what would be considered totally "normal" in the real business world, we just are completely appreciative and pleasantly surprised.

I owned an Aguilar DB 359 head and also a GS112 cab. I got the head for $1200 NEW. That was before they decided to artificially jack up their "retail" prices for the head to well over...what is it now? $3500+?...

I think that the Aguilar Heads and preamps have amazingly inflated pricing scenarios. Is their 400 watt 728 all tube amp the "best" of what's out there? There's a lotta alternatives including Mesa 400+, Sunn 300T, Ampeg SVTpro2 and CL, used Trace Elliots, Several 200 watt versions from other manufacturers, Eden's 300VT, Dememter. With the Demeter as an exception, everyone else's products are less than 1/2 the price of the Aggie. Having a lighter/different transformer does not make a better unit. is it worth the extra $1000 you're paying. I guess only the user and his/her ego is the final decider because most people will not be able to tell the difference out in the audience.

Regarding Aggie's speakers, they seem to have a generally scooped sound per the reviews I've read and are competitive priced, they're relatively heavy for what you get. they've done practically nothing to significantly lighten up their cabinets. They are not offering Neo speaker solutions. Their 500 watt combo's are very heavy. Their new 500watt heads look interesting but my 1200 watt sunn head with, granted, the addition of an outboard 31 band eq, is still louder, cheaper, and tonefully "close enough" if not better to some's ears. So it'a a bit heavier. My lighter cabinets make up for it.

Alz i'm saying is that the great level of customer service we're receiving is what we shoulda been getting all along. Keep up the good work in that regard.

17. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    The Aguilar pricing has been covered in other threads, but you cannot compare a company like Aguilar to Mesa, Ampeg, Eden or Sunn. Those companies employ more people in the mail room than Aguilar has in the whole company. Every amp Aguilar makes is hand built. The DB359 is especially labor-intensive and requires many, many hours to build.

And regarding the "Aguilar cabs have scooped mids" thing. :confused: It's an oft parroted opinion that I happen to disagree with wholeheartedly. I've never had to boost mids when using Aguilar cabs.

Although I've never tried them myself, many of the serious pros I know have said they can hear the thinness in the Neo speakers and they tend to break up much faster when driven hard. They're more expensive and don't sound quite as good, but at least they're lighter. :meh:

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not to derail the thread,

but one of my fav guitar amp companies, Dr. Z, has stayed with pretty much the same pricing from their very start, since the early '90s. so, it was kinda interesting to see a similar sized/founded yet basscentric company like Aguilar bump up their prices.

if anything, i think they should get out of that building on houston and broadway, where the lease/rent's freakin' sky high. :meh: cmon, dave, i know having an address there is sexy sexy and all, but aint nothin' wrong with takin' the N out to LI City. :)

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, on the whole, IME, the aggie sound is quite upfront onstage. no scooping from my ears.

as for neo's, thin sounding? again IME, not too sure about that. i.e. the first word that struck my head when i fired up my Epi 3x10UL on its first gig was "MEATIE".

tho, "porterhouse" would have sufficed. :D

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    A friend of mine plays through a Dr. Z amp (25 watt tube amp, with two 8" speakers), and I am just blown away by how good it sounds. My hands down favorite guitar amp that I have heard.