Aguilar SL112 vs. DB112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tsmith182, Mar 17, 2017.

1. tsmith182

tsmith182

Oct 6, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I plan on getting either an Aguilar SL112 or a DB112. If I can only get one now, which one do you think I should get? We only have one dealer in Oregon and they don't carry either in store, so I'm flying blind (and deaf). I like the light weight of the SL. However, I've heard folks say that more dense wood might give a bigger sound, so is the DB worth the extra weight? I like an old school tone (Willie Weeks, Wilton Felder, Duck Dunn . . .), but I want my bass to be felt as well as heard.

2. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Db by a mile for the tone you describe. The wood used to make a bass cab will make no difference in tone. It's a binary, it either is well constructed and works or it isn't and it doesn't.

TomB and tsmith182 like this.
  3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I played DB's or a very long time, SL's just a little. I feel the DB has a somewhat fatter tone, especially if using just one cab. If you want really fat, look for a GS! Too boomy for me, but YMMV.

tsmith182 likes this.
  4. + 1 on DB for an old school tone. It will also handle a bit more power than the SL. I like the GS too. SL would be my last choice. Whatever you get, when you can, buy a second one (or in my case, a 3rd & 4th) Makes a world of difference.

tsmith182 likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021