Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI or something else

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by eunchang, Aug 22, 2004.

1. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    I have a tour coming in 6 weeks. I need to get a small, portable amp for 10 piece jazz band. Should sound good on both URB and EB.

I am thinking about getting something like;

1. AI Coda
    2. AI Clarus or Focus + some cab(10 or 12 inches, Epi UL, Bergie...)
    3. Maybe some low power WW + some cab

I will consider many combinations. Let me know what you think!!

BTW, I am not interested in GK150(no mic input) or Polytone(not enough volume either). EAs looks like heavier.. ;)

2. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Ah, I prefer 2 separate input channels like a Coda has(Mic+inst). I will consider any offer including a Contra though. A gig bag will be welcomed.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Consider a preamp and then your choice of heads opens up.

4. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Any suggestion? My(read:my wife's) budget is $1500 max, and I really want something portable. Preamp+poweramp in a SKB rack may be too big and heavy. I will be on a tour with my EUB and EB which is not bad, but I also need to carry or at least help carrying my wife's 88 keys stage keyboard(she's in the same band). :rollno:

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I don't have a suggestion, but preamps have been pretty thoroughly discussed at TB. Most, if not all of them, are multi-channel so you could swing your needs with a single channeled amplifier.

From what I've experienced and heard about the Contra, I'm not sure that this would be the ideal cabinet to have out on the road as it seems to work best in small, friendly rooms, If you playing a lot of stages and unfriendlier spaces you would want something that projects into the room rather than the Contra's non-directional quality.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If the GK and Polytone are not loud enough for you my guess is you will not be happy with a Contra/Coda either.

7. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    That's true, but a Coda has 2 channel with a mic input. That's what I like from a Coda. I think a Coda is a bit more powerful than a Polytone. Not sure about GK. A Focus2+a good cab looks good to me but obviously costs some more. A WW+a good cab looks fantastic but I am not sure that I can get ahold an used WW before I leave, also the price is scary.

8. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Good point. I will be playing in various HS auditoriums and in theaters also. I have experienced that AIs sound good but the amp is very subject to the acoustics, especially the floor materials.

However, we will have a good PA and soundman(supposedly), so I don't worry too much about the sound projection issue. Still I will be playing in much bigger rooms so that's why I wanted to have more power than my current amp(SWR Workingmans 12, 120W I guess). And this tour is a perfect excuse of buying a new amp :D

BTW, this thread IS belong to a classified section. Isn't it?? Make me an offer!! Still appreciate all your inputs though ;)

9. I would say GK-150 (plus ext. cab if you need more speaker area - and 300W instead of 100->150W) - but you need a mic input, so - you might try an AI Clarus 2 (no effects) and either an EA CXL-110, or EA CXL-112 (or, if you need more volume get one of each). Your comment about the Contra being dependent on room and floor material holds true for any speaker cab. One of the easiest ways to improve the sound of the bass is to get the cab off the floor using stand/milk-crate, or even a chair.

Hope this helps -
    - Wil

10. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Of course all the cabs will be affected by room acoustic and all. However, I had a chance to plug into one located on top of riser. Then downfiring woofer with the wooden riser made the sound truly boomy, boomy, boomy. Actually I started a post asking about using AIs with an Auralex something which is a platform a couple of weeks ago but not many tried them together, I guess.

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    After having owned both an SWR WM12 and (currently) an AI Contra, I actually believe you'd be better off with the SWR. The Contra definitely sounds better IMO for URB than the SWR, but the SWR will do the doubling thing better. Believe it or not, the 300 watt Contra is not really any louder than the 120-watt SWR...based mostly on the omni-directional quality that Ray mentioned.

12. The trick with the Contra is to tilt it back slightly - this gets the main speaker out of the plane of the floor (or riser…). AI provide a small metal triangle which is place under the front of the cab. A thick book will do just as well.

- Wil

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    If you were just using URB, I'd say go for the Contra and hope for good PAs in the venues. (Especially because I have a Series 1 sitting around collecting dust...Ebay here I come :smug: ) But I've never gotten anything resembling a decent slab sound out of the thing.

15. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Well, with my WM's 12 I often hear unpleasant distorted sound and also it always clips. So that's why I wanted just a little more power. I understand that an AI sound more omnidirectional however I could still hear well. It just didn't sound direct as I put my amp right behind me, on the chair.

This evening I borrowed one of my friend's AI Contra(old version which looks better ;) ), I liked the sound a lot. To be honest, I liked electric bass sound better than my EUB with the Contra. It was so transparent. I wish I could try a WW like this. That would make my decision whole lot easier.

16. Eunchang, you've got PM.

17. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    How about powered speakers?
    Then you just need a preamp, as Ray suggests.
    EA makes one, and there are many PA types from which to choose - Mackie, etc.

18. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    T-Bal, you've got a PM too.

JonB, I always liked using a powered speaker, but they tend to be heavy and bulky compared to bass amps. Don't they?? Mackie and JBL stuffs were big.

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm really enjoying my Clarus and Bergantino HT112 for upright and electric, though I prefer two of the Berg 1x12's for electric. With upright one is great. I've had the WM12 which I liked, but Clarus/Berg setup has a real magic to it. Coda wasn't any good for me.

I guess I'd figure about $1200 new for the Clarus/Berg. I'm also running a Raven Labs PMB blender sometimes, but I don't need it for great tone from my Underwood.

YMMV. It's really all so dependant on your bass, pickup, strings and playing style.

Will

20. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Well, the reason I consider buying a Coda is I can use that amp for many different setups and situations. I often play DB with mic only, or mic and pickup blended. Contrary to what many of other TBers said, I kinda like the transparent sound for my electric bass too. It wasn't a Coda but a Contra but I assume the preamp sections are same other than the number of inputs.

However, if you can elaborate what you liked and disliked from a Coda, it will help me a great deal.