1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aiwa deck into PA?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by EricssonB, Aug 9, 2012.

1. It'll work just fine.

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. It'll work just fine, until it *surely* catches fire.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't do it. Continue to enjoy your fluorescent's hum.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    So I was in the garage and was like, dang, I've had these things sitting in here for a few years with no amp...

20120809Spaeks.

...and then was like, shoot, I haven't had a car that I'd put this into since my '95 Caravan..

20120809Stereo.

I'm in need of a garage stereo and this stuff has been just sitting around for years.

Speakers are 8Ω, 125 watts, so the old faded paper sticker seems to say.

Manual says speaker impedance is 4-8Ω, powers 52W x 4 (at 4Ω).

12V adapter spliced in there with a few cables in and out -- no reason this shouldn't work, right? How about combining the front/rear channels to each left/right to double it up?

2. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    Use the highest power (in amps) 12V adapter you can find. It will work.
    However, don't try to splice the rear and front outputs together; easy way to let the magic smoke out.

3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    You mean the smoke that can't ever be put back in once it's gone?

4. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Now that I review the original post, I know that it'll work but want to know specifically about combining the f/r to each l/r to 'double' the power. Guess they'd call that bridging?

5. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    That's the stuff!
    All joking aside, that deck would probably be best served receiving about 5 amps or so. You'll be hard pressed to find a power adapter that will give you much more than 1, maybe 1.5. If you have to go that route, don't expect much volume.
    However, if you have an unused lawn and garden battery sitting around, that may be a better way to get that deck the juice it needs. Just charge the battery whenever it dies.

6. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I've got a computer PSU that powered it pushing 6"x9"s before they ended up in my new car.

Got, have, had, could find -- it's somewhere around here. This is why I'm in my garage, to clean it.

7. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    You posted while I was still writing.
    No, bridging doesn't work that way, unfortunately.
    That deck has 4 power amps, and you can't connect a power amp to anything but a load (or nothing at all, in the case of SS amps).

8. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    Yeah, computer PSU would probably work. What amperage do the 12V rails in it run? If it's more than 3, you're probably golden.

BTW, I love finding things I forgot I had. It's like Christmas, only cheaper. :)

9. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Such a cruel world we live in.

If that's the case, then how would bi-amping factor in?

Sorry about all the noob questions. I've only had a couple of closed-system combo amps and couldn't quite find the answer on the searches.

20120809Biamp.

10. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    Bi-amping requires each channel to be crossed over prior to the power amp, so you send a highpassed signal to the horn, and a low-passed signal to the woofer.
    Unfortunately, you can't access the signal between the preamp and power amp, since it's all built into the same unit. :(

11. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I'll let you know when I find it. :/