Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AJ's top 5

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Aug 23, 2004.

1. I really like Anthony Jackson's playing and he is on many many records and I don't know them all. Is there someone who has a top 5 on records that AJ played on?

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Any of Steve Khan's Eyewitness albums, Naughty by Chaka Khan is also great. The late Michel Petrucciani's Trio In Tokyo
    has some great straight ahead playing by Anthony! For more fusion style music Elegant Gypsy by Al DiMeola has some great stuff on it too. Anthony is one of the baddest mo-fos to ever pick up the electric bass :bassist:

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love Anthony Jackson on Chaka Khan's first three solo albums, "Chaka Khan" "Naughty" and "Wat'cha Gonna Do for Me?". I also like Jackson's work with Steve Khan as well.

4. All of the above are excellent suggestions and I also enjoy AJ with Michel Camilo.

5. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Agreed!.....I forgot about Camilo, another killin' piano trio!

6. See if you can find the movie "Calle 54" its about afro cuban music, AJ plays a song with Michel Camilo and Horatio Hernandes, see if you can only watch it once, I bet you cant....

He is the KING of face pulling, and you get to see his style, technique, and obvious passion for music.

Lukaas

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    In addition to the Khan/Eyewitness, Chaka, DiMeola, & Camillo stuff(I can think of one album that was not a trio)-

AJ's all too few tracks with Steely Dan("My Rival", "Glamour Profession") & Donald Fagen("I.G.Y." & "Ruby, Baby").

...and the O'Jays.

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It's funny timing......last night I was watching BETJazz and they played the Grover Washington concert with Anthony on four string Jazz-bass.........pure A.J. Great band too....Gadd/ Tee/ Gale :bassist: