1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Akai Deep Impact - blown processor repairable?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Groove Doctor, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Any chance of replacing the fried processor, or is it only good for parts?

I have someone local interested in it for parts.

2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Sounds like a question for Akai.

3. Anyone here that's had one successfully repaired?

4. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    I don't know if your issue is repairable but the people that would be able to tell you are Virtual Sound Technology. http://www.vstservice.com/

I have an SB1 that is having intermittent issues and in looking for a repair shop for it I eventually found VST. Seems they are the experts for these discontinued Akai products. In reading reviews, it looks as though their local amp repair services are not great but all the Deep Impact (and other Akai) repairs I've read about appear to be done quite well.

Because I didn't want to send mine across the country to California, I also contacted Mike at Analogman (in Connecticut) as I know some artists have had Mike go through their SB1's and clean them, resolder and update any soon-to-fail parts. Mike told me there is no guarantee he can fix it but he'd be happy to take a look. I suspect if it's a processor he can't do it but if it's simple, replaceable parts, he can do it very easily and turn it around faster than VST. After our numerous exchanges Mike also sent me VST's info as he had other customers use them with great success. It helped reinforce that VST is a decent option. I'll be sending mine in soon enough, but still stalling a bit.

Good luck! There isn't much out there on repairing broken SB1's so as you get more info please share the updates here. It's nice to have it documented so others can search for it in the future.

5. Thanks bludog. I bought it very cheap and broken on a punt it could be fixed. The local tech wizard here in Sydney confirmed a fried processor and from reading the other threads here that means its just worth parts.

A local guy has a hardware problem with his SB1. Just double checking I'm NOT tossing away a gem before I sell it to him.

I'll keep you posted.....

6. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    I know a guy who might know a guy. Stand by and I'll find out.

7. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    Is it Mike Gordon? That's what gave me into the idea of talking to Mike Piera @ Analogman. I saw Mike Gordon had the sticker on his pedal so I figured they had some experience with it in their shop. If I recall, you're friendly with Mike, no?

Thanks, Edwin! Any input is helpful. There's really not much on the topic and I know it would benefit numerous other TB'rs as the SB1's start to go with age.

8. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Well, there's Mike and another guy who all know the same guy!

9. Thanks Edwin. Email sent.

10. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    So, this is the guy according to the guy who knows the guy: rray@akaipro.com. It's not clear that he's still at this address or available.

11. I got the warning Phishing Site when I clicked the link. :(

12. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Hm, that's odd. It's an email address, not a website.

13. Lagaupia

Lagaupia

Apr 23, 2007
    RI
    VST is your best bet.

14. Guys, any up-dates of possible repair options for SB1? I want to send mine to a qualified tech...