Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AKG 8000 S mics

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Funkateer, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I can't find any info on these at the AKG site. They appear to be neither in the current product line, nor have they been discontinued. Anybody know what's up with these? You can get 2 plus stands plus cables for $80 or so at a lot of different online stores.

2. The AKG 8000 S is a very low budget hypercardioid mic, used mainly for vocals..........not used much in the recording field and not road worthy.

Hypercardiod means that the mic is very one directional.

(A microphone even more directional than a supercardioid microphone. Typical specifications are: coverage angle=105-degrees, maximum rejection=110-degrees)

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If you're looking for live vocal mikes on a budget, try the AKG D-880 series II. These are around 2/ $100 in the US, and are comparable to the SM-58 sound-wise, albeit a bit less bulletproof. They are supercardioid, SM-58 are cardioid, but they are functionally interchangeable in every live situation I've encountered.

The series one had wimpy grill screens, supposedly fixed in the series II. I have two series ones that have survived 3 years of sporadic use on stage and continue to work quite well. My customers who normally request SM-58 have never complained when I give them these mikes instead. I allow them to test both side to side, and the outcome is neutral or slightly in favor of the AKG, in most cases. As a sound provider, I consider $50 mikes expendable goods, YMMV.