1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AKG D 11?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by McGryff, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Disclaimer: Apologies to all if this mic has been bandied about already, but I didn't dig anything up through the search function. If I missed it, please pass me the link!

AKG D 11/XLR

I just came across this nifty little dynamic mic online, and it claims to be specifically designed for bass instruments. Anyone have any experience with one whatsoever? At $99 it's a good deal, and the frequency curve is more suited for basses than an SM58 or 57.

Thanks!

2. I haven't used one, but on paper it looks like a good option if you're planning to use a dynamic mic. The classic AKG bass instrument mic is the D112 (or its predecessor, the D12), but it has a tailored frequency response designed for kick drum, with a big boost at about 100 Hz (as does the Shure equivalent Beta52).
    The response of the D11 seems relatively neutral, so it's probably good for URB.

3. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I don't like dynamic mics for DB. That being said, I haven't tried the Heil. The D112 is a pretty bad mic for DB. These mics are designed for high SPL's and I find them not articulate or sensitive. I don't even like the venerable RE20. I think the main reason guys use the RE20 is because they've seen it in old 60's jazz videos. I've tried it--don't like it.

4. I agree. Good quality flat-reponse condensors are so cheap these days, I think they're a much better option, assuming you can access phantom power.
    That said, the pair of Rode M3s I bought recently are seriously good, robust, and can run on a 9v battery. They also work surprisingly well for vocals.

5. are we talking live sound or recording? if it's live, an excellent dynamic mic is a very viable solution, particularly the heil pr-40, which also works well for recording ... dynamics may lack the "crispyness" of condensers, but they also don't feedback like crazy.

jeff.

6. I'm talking about live situations. I rarely record and I'm not too concerned about equipment for that right now. Sorry for not clarifying that in the initial post, but it is indeed an inquiry regarding a mic for live shows. Thanks for your thoughts so far!

7. In my dumbless' band - I use a condenser on top with a dynamic on bottom (double mic stand). I have compared the D112 to the Heil 40 - I cant tell a whole lot of diff live - so far I actually prefer the D112. I am also using a Electro Harmonic ribbon - but cant conclude on it.

8. I unfortunately had to cringe when I saw the price tag on the Heil PR40, as great a mic as it looks like. For a couple of reasons I'd have to go with a dynamic mic for the time being. One is budget... an SM57 or the D 11 I'm mentioning here are around $100, which is about all I can spend on a mic for the foreseeable future. The other matter is what was mentioned above: phantom power (or lack of it, in my case.)