1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Al Cisneros Signature Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrphicTrench, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    It’s kind of an odd choice for a signature model, I’ll admit I have no idea who this guy is, or why he warrants a signature model. (Old fart alert!) The Chris Squire sig model was a huge success commercially, they command really high prices now, but he was known for that bass alone for years, this doesn’t seem like a huge seller, a little out there and player specific for most. I’m surprised they never re-issued the Lemmy model, people will part with serious coin to get one these days. At least they are trying something new, can’t fault them for that.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I was never a fan of oven knobs, except on '50s Capri models. This doesn't change anything regarding that.

The new bridge, and the way it has been incorporated into the tailpiece is a great thing, though.:thumbsup:

3. muike

muike

Sep 13, 2016
    Rhode Island, USA
    I think he might be the most prolific contemporary/alive rick bass player. not a dig at anyone not familiar with him as much as an observation of notable modern Rick players

4. RissKippery

RissKippery

Mar 3, 2016
    Personally, I don't think it's odd. Sleep are the kings of what they do. Up there with Electric Wizard. Al has also played Ricks exclusively as long as I can remember.

5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I’m always glad when people are happy with what they’ve got, but personally... I hope I never see a picture of that bass again.

Kyuuga likes this.
  6. Kyuuga

Kyuuga

Jan 5, 2018
    Portugal
    My exact thoughts! :laugh:

I think it looks like an extremely ugly version of the Ric 4003 Walnut, which looks amazing in its "standard" version.

But to each his own...

7. I was not hip to him also...

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Who? Nevuh hoyde uv 'im.

RissKippery and Funkinthetrunk like this.
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    It literally looks like if my worst enemy was set loose in the Ric factory to assemble my worst options.

miljoneir and Kyuuga like this.
  10. RissKippery

RissKippery

Mar 3, 2016
    The more I look at it, the more I agree with you guys. But somehow simultaneously I love it more as well. The 4003SW is probably Rick’s best looking bass but that green instantly makes it awful... but also awesome.

blackandwhite, MattZilla and radapaw like this.
  11. muike

muike

Sep 13, 2016
    Rhode Island, USA
    I know how Al plays, however I think this bass is a blessing to heavier players who are willing to take the covers off. standard Rick sounds are great but this is going to offer a rick tone that no one has gone for before that I think is gonna be great. it's got the classic treble sound and a jazz bridge sound with a Rick pickup. that's unprecedented for a factory instrument.

if you're trying to cop a squier or McCartney sound it's not for you, but I think it will suit a wide swath of modern bass players needs that Rick have been missing.

12. muike

muike

Sep 13, 2016
    Rhode Island, USA
    but the green inlays are still kind of beyond me.

RissKippery likes this.
  13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Thinking about the pickup locations, maybe the 3 pickup custom 4004 that was made for Al in 2016 (IIRC) was a test bed, of sorts, so Al could play around with the three pickup and decided he preferred the middle and bridge pickups for what he wanted from the bass, so this 4003AC is a finalization of that test. perhaps, with the two pickups in, basically, 4002 pickup territory.

I have come to really love the bridge pickup in my 4004L SPC that has the bridge pickup 1/2" from the bridge on that bass.

ctmullins likes this.
  14. RissKippery

RissKippery

Mar 3, 2016
    I actually kind of like the half pick guard too.

byoung93888 likes this.
  15. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Somehow CME was involved in this with Rickenbacker and Al. I'm assuming that it will not be a widely produced model. Probably $3k? Either way, it's pretty rad. FWIW, the green inlays seem to be a nod to Sleep's use of green in their logo, and weed...

16. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Most certainly. Note the date and time of Ric's Facebook post.

17. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    I like it. I hope it is priced for players rather than collectors. I would pay more than the standard 4003SW price, but the 3k someone mentioned above would be far too much for me.

MattZilla likes this.
  18. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    $3k is just a guess. Curious what it will cost.

19. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    [​IMG]

StrangerBasses and byoung93888 like this.
  20. IngloriousOz, Eyesee7, vates and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021