Al Cisneros Signature Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrphicTrench, Apr 20, 2019.

1. I had not read the press release. I don't think I saw a link to it in this thread and hadn't looked for it myself.

In that case, that's cool Ric is including treble bezels. That would help solve that part of it at least.

RissKippery likes this.
  2. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    This is what makes it cool. Al Cisneros has been a diligent and 100% committed user of Rickenbacker basses, even if he isn't a household name. Sleep probably sold more Rickenbacker basses to the doom and stoner communities than any other band.

People usually complain that Fender throw signature models at anybody they think might be in the limelight for five minutes. Rickenbacker have gone the other way and honoured a heavy user of their products, even if they are a somewhat obscure artist.

Hopefully this means that more signature models, and general shifting up of the designs, is in the works.

3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Indeed. They've got a cushion slice between it and the fb, so they should be fine to have it adjuster side up without the adjuster contacting the cover which would minimize wood loss by ~1/4", that D-rout at the bottom looks unnecessary, as does the very aesthetic wiiiiide D-rout at the top. I hope they've got a beefy volute supporting that lil swimming pool. If not, I guess it could be said that they're trying to save weight at the headstock to make the bass balance as upright as possible.

Axstar likes this.
  4. fixed it for you :)

Rabidhamster, bobomatic and MattZilla like this.
  5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Yep, RIC's signature models have real teeth to them (figuratively speaking), it's not just a marketing thing that has been way watered down, like Fender has done.

byoung93888, Axstar and RissKippery like this.
  6. RissKippery

RissKippery

Mar 3, 2016
    I want to know more about that bridge.

Gilmourisgod and monsterthompson like this.
  7. Trunganh1131

Trunganh1131

May 8, 2019
    I like the thing nafey, because its strangeness fascinates me

byoung93888 likes this.
  8. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Well.

Green teeth, anyway.

byoung93888 likes this.
  9. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Remember chatting with him about his sparkle green Ric, when my old band opened up for Sleep, Penance & Cathedral (1993 IIRC) the day they got the Green amps.

Probably the coolest finish on a Ric I've seen so far! :D

10. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Amazing! I assume it was a refin? He had an unusual 4001 early on (Asbestosdeath era, and very early Sleep) which had a bigger pickguard with the bridge pickup incorporated.

byoung93888 likes this.
  11. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    I can't remember asking if it was a refinish, I just assumed it was a factory job, or a very good MIJ copy in an unusual finish. It just looked incredibly cool (and told him so). Remember scrounging a t-shirt from Matt Pike that night too (and a Cathedral one from Gaz). We also managed to drink a fair part of the rider (it seemed that none of the other bands liked cheap British bitter).

Axstar, mikeswals and byoung93888 like this.
  12. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I'm not an expert on Al's basses, but that early shot of him looks like he is holding a 4003 finished in Turquoise, a metallic blue-green. The "metallic" finishes on the older Ricks was very fine grained, and not "sparkly" like the recent special emerald green and gold finishes.

Axstar and byoung93888 like this.
  13. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I have to admit I would enjoy seeing them receive a cease and desist for the bezels :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Gilmourisgod and bassboysam like this.
  14. lucas303

lucas303 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Last night at Monolith on the Mesa Al played this bass and the five string. He still has the pickup covers on this one.

byoung93888 likes this.
  15. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    It is a cool photo!

[​IMG]

It looks like a chunkier sparkle than Rickenbacker used, and what you describe. It looks like glitter! Or the various DIY sparkle refinishes I've seen on forums. Even the pickguard looks a bit fabulous....

Interesting to see that the Space Echo is running into the amp. On the early live Sleep recordings the vocals are definitely processed with echo, but I've not heard the bass done so. Maybe he was using the preamp to add more grind!

byoung93888 and wraub like this.
  16. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Oh. Well, yeah, in that shot there is definitely "sparkle." That's not Turquoise.

byoung93888, Axstar and wraub like this.
  17. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    It was definitely GREEN metal flake finish.

18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Metal flakes can often be seen walking the streets of San Francisco.

DJ Bebop, radapaw and Axstar like this.
  19. ...and Sunset Strip! :)

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    OrphicTrench and Jeff Scott like this.
  20. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Love the knobs...mind sharing where to get them at? Thanks and Rock on.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021