1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alabama behind Kazakhstan in math.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paste, Oct 25, 2013.

1. 'Merica

2. Hi.

:)

Didn't read the whole article, but anyone who knows anything about statistics (math ;)) can pretty quickly see what's wrong with those stats.

Regards
    Sam

3. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Nobody knows anything about math, that's the problem.

4. Hi.

Fortunately that's not IME true.

What's unfortunate IMO though is that those very same people who know pretty much all there is to know about math are given the power to decide how the math (and everything else for that matter) is being taught.

Granted, the educational system for the masses is in its infancy, with only a few hundred years by any method of measurement, but since the less wrong ways have already been discovered (IMHO anyway) why not use 'em.
    Pol Pot's of today at work there?

^NOT a political viewpoint BTW, solely an educational.

Regards
    Sam

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know Ziltoid is gonna hate me for this, but I have to post this pic up:

[​IMG]

:bag:

6. Texas is rated higher than the general public in the USA? Take that, stereotype! :p

It's always bothered me that the USA has many of the absolute best universities in the world, but we aren't producing nearly enough smart students capable of actually getting into them. :scowl:

7. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    When you start calling it maths instead of math, then maybe you'll catch up :)

8. I'm not surprised at all. And it's sad.

I listen to a little talk radio every day and one of the things I've heard lately is "you don't need school" and school is "screwel":rollno:.

If anything, people have to be better educated to have a future anymore. There really aren't that many blue collar jobs for the amount of people with little or no college. I took a few classes at a community college and was stunned to find out that if you wanted a job as a welder, you had to finish X amount of math classes.

Whuuuuutt?!?

9. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Isn't "book learnin" considered a bad thing in most of the South?

10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    It's profitable to create false barriers of entry to a lot of blue-collared jobs.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    No. That would be a unfair stereotype that -if said against a minority group, ethnicity or religion- would be considered ignorant.

12. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Because, screw you.

:D

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    When I saw the title I was honestly expecting to see a link to an article about just how strong the resistance to a good public education system in this state is.
    The current PTB down on Goat Hill are determined to take tax dollars from public schools and give them to private schools in those districts where the public school is failing.

Guess who gets to set the pass/fail bar?

So reading that Alabama lags in any area of public education is no real shock for those of us who live here.

14. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Math is hard. Kids in the US think they can have a good life without doing hard things. People in many other countries are hungry and urgently want to ensure they have a future, in many cases a future in the US.

The former Soviet Union is generally very good with math and science teaching. Kazakhstan is actually a pretty forward country in general. Very diverse in amount of suckage but they can move things in many areas.

15. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012

100% false ask me how I know

16. Wouldn't it be easier just to say how you know instead of prompting me to ask? Maybe the guys I talked to in the couple three years I went off and on were aiming for specific welding jobs that they failed to disclose, but they claimed they had to make it to Math 105. Maybe they wanted to be underwater basket weaving welders, I dunno.

And please don't say you've been a welder for 35 years or something, because back then you could get into any blue collar vocation without much schooling.

Sheesh, now I'm curious. How do you know?? Peas and carrots thanks.

Edit: After thinking about it, you're probably much more in the know, maybe a college guidance counselor or something. That's cool. I'm perfectly comfortable admitting when I'm wrong because I'm used to being so and I hardly ever feel embarrassment about it.

17. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Profitable for who? The colleges?

This mental image is too funny.

18. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    If you want to be paid anything over $10hr or want to weld anything of importance, you need some sort of secondary schooling/tech school. Which may or may not require math classes. Immigrant is right, it's not the same as 35yrs ago when Dad got you on or you started as a helper and just started welding on stuff. I found this out the hard way when jobs wouldn't accept my honorable discharge as proof that I could weld or even operate a crane. That was in 1998, can't imagine it's gotten easier since then.

19. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    True, without that piece of paper your nothing. It's kind of ridiculous that you need a freaking bachelor's these days just to become a interpreter/translator when any competent person growing up in a bilingual speaking household can translate in just about any situation.