Alain Caron

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Raman, Mar 24, 2021.

1. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Was that L’Air du temps? I know Alain used to play there sometimes. I’m not a UZEB fan at all but (to my surprise) I really enjoyed seeing Alain with his band a few years ago.

Raman likes this.
  2. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    It's on the "5" album. Cool song.

3. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    On St-Denis, just a couple buildings north of Le St-Sulpice. There used to be a 2 storey cafè-bar there... Can't remember the name.

4. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Okay, I don’t know which bar that would have been. What a scene there was here back in the day. :sorry:

Raman likes this.
  5. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    ZZZZZZZZZZZ

6. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    Anyone recommend a good album to start with. I’m into fusion but haven’t heard Uzeb.

7. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Tour 90 is a good place to start.

Jeff Scott, Raman and Yonni like this.
  8. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    World Tour

jerry likes this.
  9. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I think it was called Le Grand Café...

So many venues closed down in the last decade. Many, it turns out, never had the proper permits and were vulnerable to neighbours complaining about noise. Doesn't make sense for a city with so many talented bands!

The actual mayor also seems bent on chasing people away from downtown.

bass12 likes this.
  10. Alain is one of the very best bassists around. He is a true master of the instrument, a near-unparalleled talent. Tremendous playing, incredible tone and a catalogue of fabulous music spanning over four decades.

Mili and Raman like this.
  11. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    And to think Caron started out as a drummer!

12. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Him and Mark King both. Maybe they should start a band together where they switch back-and-forth. :D

Jeff Scott, Yonni and Raman like this.
  13. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Was just listening to Slam the Clown live...
    Gotta say though, one thing that annoys me with this whole era and genre is the bloody use a the synth effect on bass. I happen to actually love the sound of the bass, and having it masquerade as another synth in the band is a total turn off for me.
    One very sad example is when Caron teamed up with double bassist virtuosi Michel Donato to record Basse Contrebasse. I'd seen them play a couple songs on tv to preview the album. And it sounded awesome! Just pure bass against double bass! So naturally, I ran to the store as soon as the album came out. ...And it was completely ruined for me by Caron playing through a synth emulator.

Here's the actual tv show I'd seen (insynthed)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  14. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    Alain, Pattitucci and Kim stone are the ones who made me want to play a 6 string. I've never looked back. All 3 are killer players. Alain, however, is my favorite. He was doing things in the 80s and 90s that were way ahead of their time.

Mili and Raman like this.
  15. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ah-ha, so that might explain why his time is so rock-solid. Guy can groove like a machine!

Raman likes this.
  16. Thumpin6string

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    Wake up!

JimK and Jacobaeus like this.
  17. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    He explains how he was frustrated not having the possibility to play notes on drums. He figured out he could drum notes on a bass. And so he invented slap on his own, not knowing at first it already existed.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  18. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    There are a lot of jazz and fusion albums where 80's technology did them no favors, synth axe anyone? There was a TB thread asking about an Omar Hakim solo album and I broke it out after not listening to it for a very long time, I couldn't get through it, the gates on the drums were horrible.

JimK, Bob_Ross and Raman like this.
  19. Thumpin6string

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    Not a huge fan of the synth stuff either, but pretty easy to overlook when you hear what he is playing. I think his use of synth may have come from his UZEB days. They were doing a lot of synth and midi stuff in their music. Even the drummer had pads set up with synth tones.

Jeff Scott and Raman like this.
  20. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    LOL! Exhibit A:

Raman and jerry like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021