Alain Caron

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Raman, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Funny coincidence. I was reading another foŕum thread about 4 vs 5 string basses. And I suddenly remembered how hearing Alain Caron's walking bass on Spider is what got me thinking: "I need that low B!!!" for the 1st time. Unable to afford a new bass, I went to MF Lutherie, bought a 5 string set and asked them to file the nut on my 4 string Ibanez to string it BEAD. A few years later I finally bought a 5er.
    Thanks Alain!

JES likes this.
  2. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    I saw UZEB only once, at a music festival at Jarry Parc of all places. They werent headlining but were amazing.

Raman likes this.
  3. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Great cut! I don't know who's best or how anyone in his league can be declared "best", but Alain certainly deserves to be in that conversation.

Raman and Jeff Scott like this.
  4. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    Noisy Nights for a good studio album.

They also had a reunion album that came out a couple of years ago that I really like too.

Felken and Raman like this.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Absolutely fantastic player on all acounts. He can play anything, all techniques are in his bag.
    I got lucky enough to participate in one of his masterclasses. It was humbling to say the least.

Felken and Raman like this.
  6. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    Both of his LeBand albums are really good too. I really like the song "S.E.C".

Raman likes this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Hmm, I tarted out on drums, maybe there's a chance for greatness, still..........

Raman likes this.
  8. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    That's the one show I saw with Caron. That would have been in 1992 and I remember Caron saying how it was all fresh stuff. I wonder if maybe it wasn't Le Band's very 1st show... The audience was frantic and I remember the musicians exchanging very satisfied glances the whole time.

bassfuser likes this.
  9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I remember seeing Uzeb at a warm up gig at Chateau du Lac in Hudson just before their final big blowout show at the Montreal Jazz Festival (1991?). The place was packed and my friends and I arrived a little late. There just happened to be a table front and centre with three open spots and we were like two feet from the stage. It was a great show.

I am pretty sure I've seen Alain at L'Air du Temps over the years too, but I don't remember what configuration it was. In general, I have preferred his work with Uzeb over the solo stuff I have heard.

I don't think there are any "bests" when you get into that league of player.

I remember sitting in a room waiting for a John Patitucci clinic once when he arrived and my friends and I were chatting with him. We asked him about what his favourite drummers to play with were and he said, they're all so good at that level (I'm paraphrasing). He later played his show that evening with Vinnie Colauita on drums!

Bob_Ross and Raman like this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    UZEB's guitarist, Michel Cusson, on his own, is no slough, either.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    bassfuser, Smallmouth_Bass and Raman like this.
  11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    My favorite jazz player

Raman likes this.
  12. Shanannigan

Shanannigan

Feb 25, 2011
    Ontario
    I've attended a few of his clinics, every time I had my mind blown. He's one of the first bassists who come to mind when I think of someone who seems to have complete control over their instrument.

Raman likes this.
  13. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Noisy Nights is my personal favourite of theirs, but the debut Fast Emotion is a good starter

bassfuser likes this.
  14. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Alain Caron, my favourite player and pick for all time GOAT.

His mastery on the fretless is quite literally unmatched, that combined with his incredible ability to play melodic slap lines equally well cements his position as on of the greats imo.

I was actually listening to Noisy Nights when I stumbled on this thread.

Plus his TONE. Oh man his tone is perfect, his slap tone also has such a perfect growl to it.

I want to study with him one day.

bassfuser and Raman like this.
  15. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Jaco also started out as a drummer until he broke his wrist and switched to bass

Raman, bass12 and jerry like this.
  16. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Talking about Caron and Pastorius...

17. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    I really liked his early solo stuff. Those first 2 albums were great. Kind of like the first one was somewhat raw and Rhythm 'n' Jazz a bit more refined. Noisy Nights was the first UZEB album I got and I was hooked on the band and they're one of my all time favorites. Too bad I didn't hear about them until after they broke up. I have all of their albums and a lot of both Alain's and Cusson's solo stuff.

As far as the concert, was the guitar player a left handed guy? The guitar player on the albums I mentioned above was Jerry De Villiers Jr. and he was left handed. He really kicked it on the albums.

18. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Didier Lockwood is another piece of this puzzle. He's done
    several CDs with Alain and Michel.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Raman and jerry like this.
  19. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I honestly can't remember who the other musicians were, or if one was left-handed. Must've had eyes on Caron's hands the whole time!

bassfuser likes this.
  20. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    I can understand why you would have had all your interest on Alain.

Here's a video from around that time and I'm pretty sure this is the guitarist I was referring to. Cheers!

Raman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021