Alain Caron

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Raman, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Alain Caron, from Uzeb.
    If I had to declare once and for all who's the best bassist of all times. Technically, it's Alain Caron.

LM Bass, gzarruk, VitoMB and 25 others like this.
  2. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Alain Caron surely is a monster player. I love his fretless work and solos with the MIDI rig on his bass, also his slap playing on the fretted six string.

Awesome player for sure and he’s a swell guy to boot.

gzarruk, Loring, Element Zero and 2 others like this.
  3. I always get a laugh when I look at the FBass website and see his signature six-string fretless: Anybody that has THAT axe as just what he needs . . . . . needs no comment from me. A player's player.

F Bass Redwood AC.jpg

Ya getting this? Sheesh ! ! ! I REALLY wanted to like his MarkBass sig amp, but it just didn't work for me. Rats !

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I made these at the 2010 NAMM Show. I agree with all of the above comment about Alain. :thumbsup:

Alain-Caron_1280_8450.jpg

Alain Caron-1200_8465.jpg

5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I remember back in the 80's when a buddy came back from from music school with a tape of Uzeb and blowing our minds. Insane chops on fretless/slap and everything else, he's a beast!

6. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    A great bassist and musician. I have recently decided to try learning Slam the Clown. What a challenge that is!.

MrLenny1, Raman and gebass6 like this.
  7. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Agreed.
    I love Fusion genre (real one) and Alain Caron, Adam Nitti and Bunny Brunel are my Heros.

8. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Nitti is nuts. Not a fan of his blue Ibanez 6 string tone but his red Ibanez 5 string tone is amazeballz.

Ben Rose likes this.
  9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Great playing.

Raman likes this.
  10. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    He is mazing indeed.

SJan3, Son of Wobble and Raman like this.
  11. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    am I the only one who was reluctant to click on this thread horrified it might be an RIP. Thank goodness it wasn't (it's been a year).

and yes, that's an awesome example of a power trio

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  12. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Caron's note choices in his solos are a little pentatonic and they all sound a bit similar. Which keeps him way off the GOAT podium in my mind.

He sure plays better than I do though, and he writes some cool tunes. His "5" record is one of the few fusion albums I can listen to end-to-end these days.

13. Gormsgade

Gormsgade

Jun 17, 2005
    Denmark
    Check the full "Last Concert" here.
    Exceptionally talented musicians.

lomo, gravesbass, Alik and 3 others like this.
  14. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio Supporting Member

Fantastic bass player.

Years ago my band recorded a 3 song demo at a studio in LA (Bell Studios, I think?). I recorded the bass on Saturday and didn't go in to the studio on Sunday when they did the vocals, but apparently Alain Caron was there for some reason and he ended up doing some of the "HEY!" shouting backup vocals on one of our songs.

I was bummed I didn't get to meet him (It was my first time in a recording studio and I was super self-conscious and intimidated - I should have gotten over myself and just enjoyed the experience) but he was apparently a super cool dude.

joe

Mili, longfinger and Raman like this.
  15. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    Amazing musician.
    Amazing tone and technique
    But his music either with Uzeb or solo sound ... so ... like elevator music to me.

In Quebec we do have quite a lot of amazing music talent...

Alain Caron
    Céline Dion
    Dominic Forest Lapointe
    Just to name few

Jacobaeus and mikewalker like this.
  16. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Another great bassist from here: Fred Fortin!

17. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Long term fan of Alain... there is a clip of a tune called "No Left Turn on Tuesday" somewhere on utoob, it is strangely difficult to find... very good stuff happening on that tune.

BTW - there is no 'best' or 'greatest' bass player of all time. There is simply .... your favorite.

18. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    Back around '88 or '89, when I was in uni, a buddy of mine was in the music program (I was in engineering), and he told me about this band called Uzeb that was going to be at one of the bars on campus. He was a jazz guy, I wasn't, but I went anyway. What a blast! Maybe 150 people in the place, and they blew the doors off. Fantastic show. At one point they were all on wireless gear and were walking around the place, playing.
    Some serious skills there.

Raman likes this.
  19. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I saw Caron only once, with his post-Uzeb band. Small cafe-like venue, maybe 100 people. Highest energy show I've ever been to! People in the audience literally climbing on the tables.

JimK and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  20. D'accord

UZEB played here in Windsor, Ontario. An incredible show. Unfortunately, I haven't seen Alain Caron play since then.

Raman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021