Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ALAN WOODY

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by demolition, Dec 14, 2003.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I borrowed a bass tape from a bud and it had a short excerpt from a few bass players from their own bass video that they put out.
    And when it came to Alan Woody I was floored ! he plays funk with a pick and pops with his pinkey while muting with his palm,NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE !
    I am a well rounded musician I like to think but what this guy did was as innovated as some of the more popular players being worshiped on a daily basis.
    I never read or see much about him,especially since he died 3 years ago,his style was cool and funky and when he talked he sounded like a hick but played like a seasoned jazz great(no offense ment ,I dont know how else to describe him).
    CHECK HIM OUT YOU'LL BE GLAD YOPU DID.

2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I'm not aware of the technique or video you describe, but i've listened to woody alot on both Allman Bros Band and gov't Mule cd's.

woody could definitely rip it up!

I'd toss out "devil likes it slow" and "mule" from the "Live with a little help" cd or "Trane" from the self-titled "gov't Mule" cd as some examples of woody lettin' it fly

Warren Haynes aint to shabby either;)

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I loved Woody's style/tone....everything!! He went against the grain of what most bassist where doing in the 90's and made a style all his own.
    Gov't Mule where/are one of my favorite bands:bassist:

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Woody was the man. I'd recommed the Gov't Mule DVD Rising Low (by Mike Gordon) for more info on his life and great live clips too. He could play jazz, blues, funk, anything and with force. His bassline on Thorazine Shuffle just kicks ass. Truly an original.