1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All Tube Ampeg Heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 16, 2017.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Tell me what kind and why?? Fact finding please...

lowendrachel likes this.
  2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Vague question is vague

3. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    perfectly simple actually. What kind of all tube Ampeg head do you have and why do you have it.. Um.. Why is that such a difficult question?

bobyoung53 and Axstar like this.
  4. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Well, I have a Heritage SVT. I like the sound and uumph factor of tubes. I am a devout GK 800rb guy BUT I wanted the real ampeg tone. I say real cuz I tried to get it using several different thing. I tried a sansamp BDDI,an RBI, tech 21 VT pedal and rackmount, ampeg SVP pro preamp into power amps and also ampeg SVP 1500 poweamp. They all sounded good but without the tube power section it just wasn't "it". I also run 2 8x10s so having one headpush both was a big deal for me. I also used an SVT pro same deal.

I bought the heritage as it came with better tubes and other improvements over a CL whick is what I wanted. I would have bought a used USA CL but Sweetwater has a deal on it for 1700 which was less than a CL. These go for about $2400 otherwise. I commented the blasphemy of swapping the front grill and preamp box from a dead CL simply cuz it looks better to me.

Love my GKs but right now I'm about this amp and tone. Alot of guys shy away due to the weight. It is not an issue to me so size/weight is irrelevant to me. I look at micros as toys. I'm sure they're good, just not for me.

5. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I literally walked into this vintage V4B w/410 when i joined the band! Drummer kinda collects good stuff, and he originally picked this up for his teen daughters band years. I'm in the process of buying it off him cuz it's F'n amazing :)

Edit: Cab is 90's, but the head is early-mid 70's

20170115_124123.

When he offered to sell it to me last week, i told him "Ehh, it's got a lot of use on 'er, I'm going to need to test it out." (I've been in this band & using it for over 2 years now :roflmao:)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  6. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Reissue V4B. SVT tone in a 40lb amp. Plenty of volume for bar-sized gigs with or without PA.

punky, High Camp, G On Bass and 6 others like this.
  7. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Is there some sort of chart or list or something like that that explains SVT - Herritage, Classic, V 4B, V 2, CL, and all the others??
    I have owned B2, SVT7 Pro, Portoflex's and a couple others, but I am thinking that the all tube might be the way I want to go. I have never played a full tube amp. 37 years..

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If you just said that from the get go it wouldn't have been difficult ;)

I have an SVT II non pro and a V4B Reissue. The SVT is because it's an SVT and the V4B is because it's a lighter and smaller "SVT" type of tone.

SVT: 300 watt non master volume amp head
    CL: 300 watt master volume amp head
    Heritage: 300 watt same thing as a CL with Winged C tubes, tube retainers, different trannys (IIRC), and thicker PCB's
    V4B Reissue: 100 watt master volume amp head. I'm not sure what's different between these and the originals.
    SVT II: Rack mount 300 watt non master volume amp with 6 band graphic EQ
    SVT II-Pro: Rack mount 300 watt master volume amp with 9 band graphic EQ and drive control

GregC, Sartori and iriegnome like this.
  9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Is the master volume for 2 channels kind of thing or some other reason?? Like I said, I have never used or owned a full tube amp so they are completely unfamiliar to me..
    Oh, and is the SVT II the same as the SVT 2?

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The second question is much more specific than the first.

That aside, I have a few. A 1956 bassamp, 1961 R12R, 1965 B15N, 1970 V4, 1972 B25B, 1973 V4, and a 1974 SVT. I like the ampeg bax/mid EQ. I like having options of tube amps at a variety of wattages and output configurations to match to the gig. The bassamp has been my main practice amp at home lately, I had planned to sell it once I finished fixing it but I haven't quite finished with it yet so I still have it. The B15N is a classic, use it mainly at home and in the studio. The two V4s - one is being restored, one I frequently used until recently, love the flexibility. The SVT is the king. Great amp. Only being able to pair it with 4 ohm cabs makes it a little less versatile than the others.

Sartori and iriegnome like this.
  11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    No, the II (non-pro) is a more basic circuit, closer to the vintage SVT with an added graphic EQ, no master volume, etc.

The II pro added a drive circuit, master volume, expanded graphic EQ.

Sartori likes this.
  12. I presenty own a V4-BH of SLM years, bought second hand. I used to have an original V4-B bought new in 1975 (as far as I remember) with a V6-B cabinet (2 x 15) that I sold to buy a small size solid state amp. Thenafter, I've been playing various solid state or hybrid amps (Acoustic 126, Marshall) searching for the sound I used to have. When I've tried the "new" V4-BH, the magic was back. I won't change my amp, unless I can hire 2 roadies to carry an SVT, which remains some kind of a dream.

13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Early 70s v4b just like the fella up a few posts. Why do I have it? If you tried it you wouldn't ask.

mrb327 likes this.
  14. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    SVT CL. I wanted a tube amp to sit on top of my Berg nv610. Got a killer deal for a minty newer one from some dude on Craigslist.

15. Ahhh.... NOW I see. What Ampeg tube amp do WE have & why. .. ? Gotcha. Right. ..
    Have owned:- SVT-CL, SVTII (or SVT2 or SVTII NP {non pro}), V4BH & 70's V4
    Have played SVT-VR, SVT2 PRO, All great.
    Only reason I sold the 70s V4 was that the new reissue had recently come out ("been dropped". ...is the trend setter way of saying that methinks )
    & the new one has 6L6 power tubes rather than the 7025s, is way lighter and has a nice DI built in. Both very similar but I DID like the 70s one a touch more. ..tonally. ..not to carry etc. .
    I was gonna buy a SVT-VR as it was my fave of the bunch and still had a DI built in, but a reliable source on here recommended that I try the (then new) Fender Super Bassman (300w and all tube ) and from the 1st note I played I knew I'd made the right choice. Not that I wouldn't've been happy with a VR, but the Fender Super Bassman has 8/4/2 ohm switch- which suits me as I'll often use a single 8 ohm 115 with it- drive the amp harder and get those 6 sweet 6550 power tubes into their "sweet spot" without being terribly loud. .. and. ..it's 20lbs lighter than the VR.
    SO. ...imo/ime etc etc. .. ALL the Ampeg all tube amps are simply superb and I'd be VERY happy with any of em.
    But I'm glad I was pointed toward the Super Bassman as it ticks my boxes just a fraction more.

Tim1 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  16. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No, the master volume allows you to turn the preamp gain up higher to get some preamp distortion at a lower volume if that's your thing. Very similar to your 7 Pro.

II and 2 are interchangeable. It's the pro vs non pro part that matters.

They made the SVT II, SVT II-Pro, and SVT 2-Pro. Both of the Pros were the same amp. The II non pro is different and more sought after.

lowendrachel and Sartori like this.
  17. RiZzBot

RiZzBot Drunk + bass + broken strap locks = :'(

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    My first SVT was so good, I had to buy another. Great Ampeg sound. Once you figure out the EQ and Gain to Master ratio, you're in serious business. Pair it with a fridge cab and you're ready for any gig thrown at you.
    [​IMG]

18. James Simonson

James Simonson

Feb 2, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball and Ampeg
    This is well done and worth a listen.
    Surprisingly, the Solid State B2R hangs pretty tough with the rest???

Seems like any of them could be tweaked into a good spot. And for the record, I've heard the 3Pro sound a lot better.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  19. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    SVT VR, chaining channel one to channel two.

Through an 810 of course.

shadven likes this.
  20. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Next time there's a Seattle GTG,please bring this........

catcauphonic likes this.