1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Allright, who knows the Ampeg Portaflex cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mmbongo, May 10, 2016.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've had the itch to get a pair of Portaflex cabinets for a while now, and it seems like I change my mind every day about which to get.

At first I wanted a pair of 15's...because it's a pair of 15's. All my other cabs are 10's and 12's and just wanted something different. I started with the 215LF because it's a little cheaper, is ported, and I don't care about a tweeter.

Then I thought about a pair of 210's, as they are a little smaller and lighter than the 215LF, but about the same size and weight as the 215HE...which led me to....a 210 and a 215 together.

So, if you have compared the Ampeg Portaflex cabinets head to head, what's the basic sound difference in them? I'm going nuts trying to figure out which configuration to get.

And what's up with the 112HLF? I love the size and weight, but it costs the same as the others, handles half as much power, and the spec sheet says it only goes down to 68hz. Seems like something that shouldn't exist.

So, tell me about your Portaflex 210 or 115 cabinets!

2. Ime... one PF115HE wasn't able to handle my volume/power duties. 2 of em were greater than the sum of their parts tho.
    When you're saying 215HE I'm assuming you're meaning 2 x PF115HE cabs?

So, my sum up = one PF115HE not enough for my gigs (where one of my old EVTL606 {115} or one Fender Bassman Pro Neo 115 cab would be fine)
    - 2 x PF115HE excellent.
    But, I sold mine and bought the Bassman Pro Neo 115 cabs

3. "Paging JimmyM...Mr. JimmyM."

tfer likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Dammit, can't a guy poop in peace?

:D

So the only PF's I have experience with are the 210he, 115he and 112hlf. Before the 112hlf came out, I liked the 210he the best because it didn't go as low as the 115he. I liked the 115he at first, but I kind of soured on it because of how low it goes. It goes WAAAAAY lower than any other sealed cab I've ever used, and I realize there's a market for a cab like that, but I prefer the rolled off sound of the 810e and the original double baffle Portaflex cab from the 60's. The 210he goes a little lower than them but not by much.

I got a PF112hlf a couple months ago, and do not let the specs deceive you! First off, that 68hz is the -3db point, not the -10db point. The -10db point does seem kind of high on paper (49hz), but it doesn't come across that way on gigs. It comes across as way closer to the sound of my double baffle cabs, actually. For that reason it's my favorite of the PF cabs I've tried. Now if you want higher power handling, you might favor the PF210he or 115he, as they will take a pretty good pounding whereas the 112hlf doesn't quite take that hard a pounding. Certainly louder than I'll ever need, but not quite to the level of the others.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    BPhillips, GregC and Mvilmany like this.
  5. I beg your pardon; I never promised you a rose garden.

Mvilmany and JimmyM like this.
  6. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'm just going to PM you with all my stupid questions if you don't mind :)

gbrooding and JimmyM like this.
  7. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I have the PF115HE and PF210HE (yes, the mixed grill).
    IMHO, any combination of the PF115HE, PF210HE and PF115LF will sound terrific.
    The PF210HE is the highest voiced, then the PF115HE and deepest is the PF115LF (the last being ported).

In your case: why not try two PF115HE cabs?
    They're lightweight, sound great and will give you plenty volume.
    Or even better, the mixed grill...sound great together and then you can compare.

YMMV

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  8. soxhats

soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a PF-210HE in perfect condition I'll sell you if you're interested. I bought it new about a year ago. Have a nice after-market cover too. You're in South Carolina; I'm in North Carolina (Raleigh). Been happy with it, I'm just making some changes in my arsenal. Will make you a super deal if you're interested.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  9. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right!

Oct 25, 2013
    Ajax Ontario
    This. I also have the PF115HE and a PF210HE "mixed grill". Very happy, works well, and plenty loud. Had the 115 first, was going to get another, but tried a 115 with a 210 together, and really liked it.

High Camp likes this.
  10. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I initally wanted the pair of 115LF's simply because they are $50 cheaper and they are ported....and I don't need the tweeters or the fliptop plus I've heard the fliptops tend to rattle. But now I'm indeed leaning towards the 210+115 HE and just deal with any rattling that may occur. They are a little lighter and smaller and every little bit helps!

I was concerned the 210 would reach it's limits well before the 115 but @JimmyM said that shouldn't be a problem, and if it is he would buy me a new 8x10 to make up for it! Now that's a stand up guy right there! :)

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  11. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    If it's any comfort to you, I have never encountered any rattling issues.
    And IME, the 210HE and 115HE are equal in power handling.

GoLeafsGo, 96tbird and mmbongo like this.
  12. I never wanted a PF cabinet until the PF 50T came out ... now I want both!

13. Thundar

Thundar Don't talk old to me Supporting Member

I had two 115LF's and was VERY happy with them...a lil heavy, but nothing I couldnt deal with. Very bright cabs surprisingly, but still had plenty of lows. No need for a tweeter in these at all.

8feee6f8-72f3-4a35-a9a7-062df94d128b_zps96444d3b.jpg

14. My 350/pf115he rig does not rattle.

15. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I used to be a Peghead, might be again someday. The new stuff is great, I briefly gigged the 15 and 210 PF cabs. My only issue was I needed a ton of volume and the PF cabs didn't cut it. Great tone though! Tried the 15LF recently, LOVED it. If I go back (they look soooooo cool) I'll definitely be getting 2 of those.

16. 210 and 115 is a good combo.

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  17. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    I have a set of both 210's and 115's, both HE's, I love them both......but but because of the heavier stuff I like to do, I like the 15's a little better......I agree, it's hard to decide

But what I like to do, is run them both through an ABY switch through a PF500 and TH500........great cabs man

For more info, check out Jimmys Portoflex thread

20151101_100748.jpg

High Camp likes this.
  18. the only time I've heard rattles from my 350/PF115HE is when I didn't get the clamps secured correctly. Everything else rattles. My sound favors 15s and this cab works perfectly for me. Even with the 350 at 175 it is pretty loud to very loud. I leave the horn off. The 15 has a pretty good frequency range, I can get good fidelity on harmonics too.

19. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    I own (2) of the PF 210HE cabs and I run the PF500 head. I use one can for smaller club shows with PA support and both for larger venues and outside gigs. Personally I think that combo crushes any other combo of the PF cabs. I play Rock stuff from 60's thru current stuff and strictly Jazz Basses.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Thanks for the plug, Rip, but honestly, the Portaflex Club thread is mostly centered on the various vintage Portaflex cabs and doesn't have as much info on the new stuff as the big PF series threads. Here is the latest installment... Ampeg PF 350/500 Part VII

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021