Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternative methods for golden trinity hookup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by reedo35, Feb 14, 2004.

1. :help: OK guys, for he first time in two years I have a question-
    I recently got the Golden trinity upgrade from (all Hail!) Bob G. My question is this- I currently have a Barcus Berry pickup that I want to combine it with, but I don't want to end up with a frankenstein-looking contraption on my Bass. I seem to remember both Chris and Don doing something in the way of a custom job, but I don't remember what they did. I am not altogether unskilled with a soldering iron, but I don't want to screw it up, either. Also should I plug the barcus Berry into its own pre-amp before I plug it into the K&K? Please advise.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Reedo - When you say the "upgrade", doesn't that mean that you got the GT mic with the two channel blender? Mine included two jacks - one 1/4" male to plug into the jack for my existing pickup, and a 1/4" stereo female jack which carried both sugnals TRS to the blender. The only reason I had to "Frankenstein" my system was because I had TWO bass Maxes on it, so I had to solder some connections together. On your system, shouldn't you just be able to plug your BB into the upgrade, and then run the stereo cable to the preamp?

3. yes, with an adapter ( the BB has rca jacks) but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to plug into the BB preamp and then plug into the K&K , or is that an uneccesary step, just causing more wires in the way??

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I guess the best thing would be to try it both ways, but if you have the two-channel K&K preamp, I'd just try letting that do the EQing and mixing and see how it goes. I had a similar issue with the Double Bass Max - I really liked being able to mix the two sides before sending the signal on, but that meant two preamps and a ****load of cables and a general absence of any semblance of BASSO FENG SHUI, if you get my drift. So I ended up just mixing the two sides at the cable level and plugging into the Trinity upgrade jack. It's still the system I use...not perfect, but the best thing I've found so far, and very versatile in finding different sounds for different vibes and environments.

In the end, you'll have to try all the possibilities and see what's worth carrying and what's too much trouble. One thing I can tell you about the trinity mic is that it doesn't take much mic blended into the signal to really add that natural touch to the sound. Enjoy!

5. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Weird -- I just yesterday ordered a Golden Trinity Upgrade for my Barcus Berry pickup...

I see no reason why you should need the Barcus pickup. The upgrade should be fine on its own. Let me know how it goes -- I should get mine any day now (got mine from Lemur Music here on the West Coast.)

6. I had to read this twice. You mean the Barcus Preamp, right?

7. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Sorry -- yeah, you shouldn't need the Barcus Preamp.

Shouldn't post late at night...