1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternative to Fender P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BobDeRosa, Aug 14, 2019 at 10:56 AM.

1. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    Are you a P-bass player who has fallen in love with a non-Fender P and would highly recommend it? Nothing against Fender (I love my '94 MIM), but I've been really impressed with what I've seen and heard about the Lakland 44-64 (both US and Skyline) and the G&L LB-100 (both US and Tribute). Can anyone comment on either or both? Thanks very much.

2. Esp vintage four....that s it

3. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    I have a Lakland Skyline P5 with a Nordstrand NP5. I’ve had it set up once a few years back, and the neck hasn’t moved. It hardly goes out of tune, the wide, flat fretboard is a pleasure to play, the fit and finish is spot on, the plek fretwork is impeccable, and it sounds like a monster. I will vouch for Lakland stuff.

4. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    Here’s a shot!

Attached Files:

5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I'm not really a P guy, but I have a Nash PB57 that is out of this world, especially if you like relics and even if you don't. Plays incredibly well, but I just keep going back to my J's.

randini, JoshS and BobDeRosa like this.
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    What fits my Fender P bass niche is an upgraded US Peavey Fury. I used to own a MIM Fender P bass, nice bass and all but prefer the thinner neck and the lighter weight of the Fury. Just works better for me. It sounds pretty much like a US Fender P because that's the pickups and electronics that are currently on it.

Bassamatic, ajkula66 and BobDeRosa like this.
  7. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The Lakland Skyline basses are pretty awesome.
    The neck is a little weird, but the Peavey Fury and Forum have good reputations.
    I haven't played an old Ibanez RB bass, but I hear good things.
    My 86 BC Rich ST with DiMarzio pickups always gets complements. Very classic P bass tone. It also weighs a ton and is a bear to play.

shodan and BobDeRosa like this.
  8. I can’t comment on the Lakland or G&L, but the Sire P7 is worth considering.

9. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Sadly, no.

I find a Jazz on the front pickup or Stingray a perfectly adequate substitute.

10. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I have an LB-100 and love it. One big advantage to the US G&Ls is that they have a ton of options, from finish to neck profile. So you can really get what you want out of the box.

justjake and BobDeRosa like this.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The Tribute is a good one and you might find a bargain on a USA-made model.
    You might want to consider this, too.
    Reverend Thunderbass...that's a Split Brick neck pickup, like a vintage P bass pickup but with more beef, yet retains clarity, and a Thick Brick bridge pickup, warm and thick with strong mids, output and punch like an active, but more organic sounding...and passive.
    [​IMG]

12. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    I think these are all comparable quality so it will kind of just boil down to what feels good to you.
    I know hat answer is very unsatisfying, but it's kind of it.
    Personally, I like G&L's the best of these. They feel pretty consistent, and I like that feel and sound.
    Lakland basses just sound a bit harsh to me...they feel pretty good though!
    And Fender's I find completely hit or miss. Sometimes they're great and sometimes they're horrible.

BobDeRosa likes this.
  13. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    A P-bass is a very simple instrument. I love mine, but there are many different makes and models of P-bass that will get the job done.

14. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    BobDeRosa and Hounddog409 like this.
  15. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a Lakland Skyline 44-64 and a Fender American Standard Precision which I consider equally interchangeable for the purposes of play-ability and sound quality. At this point you'd have to pry them both out of my cold, dead hands to make me give either one up.

basspraiser, shodan, Skillet and 2 others like this.
  16. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Yup, that's me. I got a nice deal about a year ago on a D. Lakin Bob Glaub and I think it's the cat's meow. I was perfectly happy with my 60th-Anniversary Fender P, which I'd been playing exclusively for about 7 years, but was intrigued when I learned that a lot of folks who have experience with all three say that the Lakin is closer to a USA Lakland (especially the neck) than the Skyline -- but it's priced more like a Skyline. (Dan took the Glaub name with him when he left Lakland.) There aren't many out there, so good luck finding one, but by all means check one out if you can.

Also note: Some of these come with a standard P-width neck, but some come with a J-width neck instead.

BobDeRosa likes this.
  17. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    I've owned both US and Skyline 44-64s, and I currently own a US LB-100. And at under half the price of the US Lakland, it's a fantastic bass for the money, even if you're buying new.

18. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    My only P is a Warmoth with a Delano pickup in it. I love it. I highly recommend G&Ls, I have an SB2 and have had two L2000s. Love Lakland too. I don't see any reason to get say an MIM Fender over a Skyline.

BobDeRosa likes this.
  19. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    I'll second (or 5th) the endorsement of Lakland (in general, but especially for the 5 string P - Skyline 55-64). It became my one and only. IMG_0082.

20. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Does this count? It's got a P bass pickup :)

Spector 1977 Euro LE

2_Body_Straight_Front_NA-b53fd31c9ad60a22866ac21a70b27836.