1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternative to the Tascam GB-10

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by stevensivak, Mar 10, 2016.

1. stevensivak

stevensivak Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2014
    I am wondering if there is a higher quality and heavier solution to having a playback
    device that will playback from MP3 files at 1/2 speed with no pitch failures along the way.

I am not looking for lots or any "features" just the ease of getting songs into the device (no CD ripping required) and the ease of playback at proper pitch but at a reduced speed.

thanks

2. stevensivak

Dec 24, 2014
    really? there is only one 1/2 speed playback device on the market??????????

3. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    No, there are other devices and most importantly there are several great apps that can be used. However, it is difficult to help you as you don't tell us what's the problem with GB-10. Which aspects are you trying to improve? Sound quality?

4. stevensivak

Dec 24, 2014
    Fair enough:
    I don't like cheap plastic products, no backlight, not heavy enough to resist cable tug
    and don't want 8 thousand useless features-
    Just 1/2 speed playback with pitch control... but ideally uses digital files as opposed
    to cassettes or cd's...

Let's see what you come up with!

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  6. stevensivak

Dec 24, 2014
    looking for hardware not software... thanks though

7. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    OK, so the HW requirement rules out most alternatives. And the combination of not cheap, heavy but not a lot of features probably takes care of the rest -- the market would be too small for a product to survive. I had an old MP3 player (iriver) that did this (but it was tiny and light and made of cheap plastic, and died many years ago) and looking at the usual "prosumer" suspects similar to Tascam (Numark, Denon, Stanton) they all seem to have too limited range of speed control (50% is a lot...) or does it via external means (i.e. a connected iPad which means we're back at SW).

If I were you I'd try some different apps and tie the cable around a leg of the table.

8. stevensivak

Dec 24, 2014
    Rubber Band is da bomb....!!!

Fantastic solution!!!! Everyone should own it- no need for a cheap piece of hardware that costs
    15x as much as the software.

THANK-YOU!!!

seamonkey likes this.