Alternatives for Fender T-Handle Wrench

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassbourne, Apr 21, 2021.

1. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    If the hex key isn't slipping, it it isn't rounding the slot. A properly sized round head hex key is fine.

FRoss6788 and bassbourne like this.
  2. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Actually, I'm okay with modifying tools for a specific purpose, but I make several of them when I do and have 2 in one place at all times. Such as I did with several shortened hex wrenches for this purpose.

But I was okay with the Fender ball end hex wrench as well. Never had problems with it rounding out the truss rod nut.

bassbourne and Lownote38 like this.
  3. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I can understand that "feeling" that it exhibits when you use it.

But a properly-made ball end hex wrench won't round out the head. I've seen much worse damage done when the ever-so-slightly-wrong size regular hex wrench is used. And many occasions of this damage happening.

4. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I find that you really have to jam the ball end in there firmly to ensure you get a good grip. Probably going to scuff the pickguard. I got a cheap set of T handle ball end keys at harbor Freight that imo have a meatier ball than the Fender one.

The routing idea is a good one. I have a Sire P7 and it has a route that allows for normal L shaped allen key in the body and it turns so much more easily than the nut on my American Special P which just has the tiny access point at the heel like you're describing.

bassbourne likes this.
  5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Be sure to get a nice smooth one ...
    upload_2021-4-25_8-15-25.png

walterw, JKos, Lownote38 and 4 others like this.
  6. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Lownote38 and RSBBass like this.
  7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    oops ball end.

8. Cloven Hoof

Cloven Hoof Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Texas
    20210428_195456.jpg 20210428_195436.jpg 20210428_195408.jpg

bassbourne and Geri O like this.
  9. larrysb

larrysb

Mar 23, 2020
    $ilicon Valley
    The only risk of a ball-end hex wrench is breaking the ball off in the nut. Correctly-sized, it won't damage the nut. That being said, correctly-sized means using an inch-sized wrench with an inch-sized nut, and a metric-sized wrench with a metric nut. Trouble starts with using one that "almost fits" because that's the one you have handy, instead of the one needed.

10. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    My tech has a lot of bad things to say about the ball end tools. Too easy to strip the nut. He uses Allen keys and mods the tool if necessary. I find the t handles are rough on my hands making it a bit painful to get a good grip on the t handle yet I’ve never had a problem on my old fenders. I have a straight ball end tool shaped like a screw driver handle. That is easier to use and while still a danger, it is better than a t handle. My fav was a nut driver socke with a simple rod welded on but that is for a typical nut ont truss rod.
    Hope my experience helps. Best of luck to ya.

bassbourne likes this.
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you and @Cloven Hoof would rather modify a $1500 bass than modify a $1 hex wrench?

just hacksaw off a 3/16" allen key right past the elbow, it'll fit right in and do the job. if you're nervous about losing it then make two

(not a fan of the ball-end T-handle wrench either, it works but without much leverage or control)

Geri O, bassbourne, Lownote38 and 3 others like this.
  12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    or, skip all the work and just buy this:

b16510_764b1cc4-8023-440b-979b-f735a8d7e74a_compact.jpg

bassbourne, Lownote38 and Joshua like this.
  13. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021