1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternatives ti Underwood but with one element only

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tito mangialajo, Apr 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    In the last concerts I try, after twenty years..., to use only one element of the Underwood (only the E side) and the sound of mu bass (with gut strings) through my old GKMB200 and Fdeck pre is very very good. I'm interested to buy a new pick-up, similar to Underwood, but with only one element. Like Shadow, for example. Maybe Gage Lifeline? Others? Advice?

Don Kasper likes this.
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Just buy an Underwood, chop off the G side element and there you go! (you can even add a 1/4" female jack to the G side element, and you'll have a spare. There is no sonic difference between the 2 elements.)
    I'm surprised that the good folks at Underwood haven't offered a single-element version.
    Do a search of this Forum for some other discussion by Underwood users who use only (1), the E side element of the Underwood.
    Thanks, and Good Luck!

tito mangialajo and bassfran like this.
  3. And the Shadow SH-951 element is thicker than the Underwood's.

If you chop off the second element of the Underwood, use a very sharp knife very little pressure and lots of back and forth movement. That way the risk of shortening the hot inner wire with the outer shield is small. Check the element with the jack and if it works seal the cutting area of the cable with elastic glue or something similar.

web824 likes this.
  4. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I've never quite got the one element Underwood thing, having spent several years using both. One useful one element bridge wing pickup is the K&K Bassmax. Many DB players keep one in their wire bag as a backup should it ever be needed.

5. HCF

HCF

Nov 30, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I personally really like the Schatten RB-1. With a ply plus guts on top and Garbo's on the bottom it's a nice warm and dark sounding pu

6. Phase cancellation.

timobee4 and Seanto like this.
  7. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    N
    Never cancelled my phases.

timobee4 likes this.
  8. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
  9. The Realist is not a wing pick-up.
    OP is asking for something similar to an Underwood, (that means a wing pickup I think) but with one element.

DoubleMIDI likes this.
  10. Indeed.
    My bass came with an Underwood,and I had to slightly file the wing to fit my Shadow SH-951.

11. It seems to vary from bass to bass.

12. But an one element pickup can seem a bit one dimensional.

13. Not unless you hit it very hard with a heavy hammer.

tbplayer59 likes this.
  14. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Upton Revolution Solo II has been my go to wing pick-up for about a decade. Really hot signal ant takes EQ very well. Needs a pre like they all do. YMMV.

Ric Vice likes this.
  15. I have tried Shadow, Underwood, Bassmax, and Rev Solo II, and now use the best of them all, a Zac Victor. A little touchy like the Rev, but once you get the sweet spot..... boom!

tito mangialajo likes this.
  16. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    I don't know it. I'll do a search...