Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternatives to GK150

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassbuddy, Feb 7, 2005.

1. I've got an older GK 200MB, the precursor to the current 150E and 150S models. While I'm sure it's fine for jazz, it doesn't seem to be cutting it for the country/blugrass/rockabilly project I have going on. It seems to have too much focus in the mids, which competes with the mids of the acoustic guitars, mandolins, and volins of the group, and just gets lost. There's also not enough boom in the bottom for my tastes. As an experiment, I plugged into a Yorkville powered monitor that's hanging around, a "kickback" style unit with a 12", a piezo, and greater cabinet volume, which sounded much better. (BTW, I'm using a BassMax pu & pre).

So what other 1x12" combos have folks used with any success? The SWR Workingman's 12 looks like the most attractive alternative right now. This will be mainly for rehearsal and small gigs; my big rig will cover larger rooms, and my budget won't tolerate an AI or similar product.

2. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    From a current AI user,
    I think that the SWR Workingman's twelve is a great amp. On my Kay bass I have a Bass max and my school used to have a Workingman's 12 and it sounded good. I don't know how much more bottom you will get from the SWR compared to the GK. I have played both amps but with different basses and pick-ups so I can't make that great of a comparison.

All that being said, I think that the SWR amp with a Bass Max pick-up combination is a great sounding rig. Hope this helps!

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I have a WM10 and WM12 and love them both.

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Bergantino cabs have a beautiful bass response for their size. I have an EX112 and it works great with DB. Sorry, I just noticed you said "combo". It's not a combo, but there are plenty of small heads available.