1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternatives to Musicopedia?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by remcult, Sep 23, 2019.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    The website Musicopedia seems to be down, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any other similar resources. It allowed you to select an instrument, number of strings, to select arpeggios or scales, etc. and then map out what you wanted on the fretboard, a pretty incredible tool. musicopedia.

Feel free to reach out/share if you know of anything along these lines, thanks!

2. Pencil. Paper.

My bass is strung E to C, BTW...

Arp Workpg2.

3. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    +1 to making your own charts.

instrumentalist and SteveCS like this.
  4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    +2

5. +3

SteveCS likes this.
  6. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Good suggestion, and that's something I do, but I'll still keep an eye out for a digital resource that allows for quick mapping of various scales. It can come in handy, especially on the fly

Spin Doctor likes this.
  7. Well, I get that, but you can do it yourself on the fly. It might take a little bit longer, but you having to actually think about whatever intervals that make up whatever scale will only help you.

Make a commonplace book, in your own handwriting (something scholars did in the 1700's) with all the info you come across concerning scales arps, pentatonics, etc. That way you have the info you need on the scales, if you want to chart them out.

I have checked out that site you mentioned, but for me, the way the scales got mapped always seemed a little hinkey to me, meaning they always were mapped in a way that wasn't useful to me.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    SteveCS likes this.
  8. Just FYI. here is an example from my commonplace book. When I was reinforcing my understanding of Melodic Minor Scales and application.
    Melodic Minor page 2.

remcult and Whousedtoplay like this.
  9. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    P.S. You have a beautiful handwriting.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  10. Lol, well thanks! It's actually pretty sloppy compared to what it used to be.

11. Spin Doctor likes this.