1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Always Keep a Bass in the Trunk"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Orangeclawhammr, Sep 12, 2008.

1. My music teacher suggested that I always keep a bass in the trunk of my car. It sounded like a crazy idea to me. I live just outside of Detroit, MI, where the weather can be quite variable. I would think it would be difficult, if not impossible, to keep weird things from happening to the neck. Frankly, I'm not sure a bass in a gig bag would fit in my trunk (Cavalier). I know one in a case won't. I have to carry it in the back seat. However, I wanted to run this by teh forum before I totally dismissed the idea. Then there's the question of the amp. My Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 fits perfectly in my trunk.

Ain't that a long name for such a small amp? (Should I have started a separate thread in the Amp section for this?

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Steinberger :bassist:

3. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    It would help greatly to know the motivation/reasoning behind this suggestion, i.e. why?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Depends on his point. If he means that you should bring a backup instrument to every gig, then fine but it doesn't have to ride in the trunk. If he means that you should have an instrument to practice on at all times, then fine- just get a super cheap beater, who cares whether it warps or whatever, it's just for practice, and you don't need an amp for that.

If it's to reduce fishtailing when the roads are icy, then a couple large bags of kitty litter will work better than a bass.

5. Maybe a $99 bass and expect to throw it away from time to time due to warping based on high/low temperatures in the trunk.

I think he had the intention to go out a lot and play, just keep your bass within reach back home. --Kent

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Or just do what Coltrane and SRV did and just wear your axe literally everywhere you go - into restaurants, walking down the street, etc :bassist:

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Oh boy, here we go again...you said you live near Detroit?

First off, I'd get a new music teacher...:meh:

Aside from weather conditions, I wouldn't leave a bass in my car unless I was prepared for it to be stolen at one point or another...:rollno:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468055

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "Always Keep a Bass in the Trunk"

no thanks.

9. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    :eyebrow:

This is a very stupid idea. It's going to warp the neck and sound like garbage in a short period of time due to the combination of climate change and banging around in the trunk. I don't care if the bass costs 50 bucks, it's still a waste.

I would be more worried about keeping emergency supplies in my trunk than a bass at all times. Very strange suggestion from your teacher.

10. It's not a stupid suggestion if he didn't mean it literally.

But me, I'll never leave an instrument sitting in a car at my location.

1: I feel a bit of a bond with my stuff

2: It's hotter than hell outside. Things can, and will, get seriously out of whack

11. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    I've always lived by the motto that the bass is never left any where that I wouldn't want to sleep.

12. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008
    He may have been coming on to you. :eyebrow:

13. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I think taken literally it's a bad idea, but if it's taken as you should always have an instrument handy for practice or an impromptu jam session or whatever then I can dig it... But it's a hassle to do so physically.

14. That's what I used to kinda/sorta do years ago. I gotta tell ya, girlfriends loved it. :rolleyes:

15. Ask to see the bass he keeps in his own trunk ..

;)

D.Don

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also, remember the immortal words of Steve Martin: "They don't call me the Elephant Guy for my trunk!"

17. +1. Go with a Steinberger Spirit. Roughly $400. Wish I had one.

18. I've slept in the trunk of a car on many a nights

19. That is flat out stupid.:scowl: What the hell's the reasoning behind it?:rollno: I have a Steinberger L2 that spent many a night in the truck. I also got drunk once and left it in the trunk of the guy's car who gave me a ride home, I'd never met the guy before in my life. Luckly, he was cool and opened his trunk a week later and saw my bass, remembering me from the band I played in at the time, he brought me back my bass. I gave him a $50 reward. That was back in '88'.

But today, I'm not leaving any instrument in my trunk, back then I was young, stupid and irresponsible. Leaving your bass in your trunk, is asking for major trouble and problems.:smug:

20. He keeps a set of drums in his truck (Long story). I guess the idea is to be able to play at any time. You have all said pretty much what I expected. I thought it was worth asking about.

Thanx, everyone.