1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

am I about to do something stupid?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pplundberg, Mar 18, 2008.

1. pplundberg

pplundberg

Mar 18, 2008
    I don't think so but wanted to check. I have an old Peavey T-45 that (to my surprise) I like to play from time to time. It's built like a tank, plays well, stays in tune...but doesn't sound great.

I thought I would throw a set of J bass pick ups in it and see how it sounds. Problem is I'll have to "destroy" the original condition of the instrument by removing some wood to accommodate the new pick ups.

My understanding is that the T-45 is not such a valuable vintage instrument. I wouldn't be kicking myself in the nuts for mucking with it 5 years down the road...would I?? Any thoughts on this?

-Patrick

2. Grantrudd

Grantrudd

Jun 26, 2007
    Boston MA
    a lot of people have said this on here, but if you really like a bass, and you love to play it, why would you be worried about resale value? if it would become a go-to bass after the pickup change, then go for it.

also, you could try throwing in a pre-amp. i have a grind 6 string, which i absolutely love, but running line in in the studio like i am doing so much of for a solo project right now, i would like a stronger signal that passives can handle. who knows, the pickups could be fine with the right preamp.

if you dont like the bass enough to keep it without the upgrade, i would not reccommend doing it if you are conserned about resale.

3. pplundberg

pplundberg

Mar 18, 2008
    good points...

I never would sell it, so I guess that's my answer. Here goes! Thanks for the perspective.

-Patrick

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    It's an old story. Boy meets girl. They fall in love. Girl tries to change boy. Nothing but anguish thereafter.

T-45's are relatively inexpensive and easy to come by. Why not try finding another to perform invasive elective surgery? If you watch eBay for a couple of months there is a good chance you will see one with these mods already in place for less than the price of a new set of pickups installed.