1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I out of line in refusing a gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by troy mcclure, Oct 10, 2009.

1. I get a call a few weeks back from a guy who was refered by drummer I played with once. They need a bass player for an afternoon gig, it's going to be a thrown together band for a church BBQ fundraiser/open jam but as the host band we will get paid. I ask him to get me the particulars via email (songs I might want to look at, location and time etc) A week passes
    I see an ad for the event $10 a head no mention of charity or church, yet I still haven't received any info as I requested.
    A different guy calls me tells me the 1st guy lost the email addy. He wants me to show up for 2 rehearsals before the event. I ask again about what I should expect to be paid?
    He said well what ever is leftover after the food is paid for we will get and split 4 ways, but it isn't about money it is about fun.

So I say " I am in 2 bands and having all the fun I need, if you can't guarentee me $100, I really can't invest my time."

With that he says forget it and hung up the phone...

Am I unreasonable?

2. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Nope, I think that if you want to play or don't, it is your choice.

3. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Nope. I dont think so.

4. fender_funk_man

fender_funk_man

Feb 19, 2009
    Hell no your not unreasonable. Its a poorly paying SUB gig with very little prep time. If your already in two bands and they didnt give you the information you requested your well within your rights to refuse.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nah. You're fine. For them to expect you to show up at two practices and a show without a quarentee is unreasonable.

6. Jayrob77

Jayrob77

Aug 25, 2009
    Not at all. You have to treat your band as a business because at the end of the day thats exactly what it is. It sounds like they are after a group of thrown together amateurs.

7. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Not really, especially if you don't know any of them personally.

8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    You are not unreasonable,but it's not about money
    it's about fun,!!BIG red flag!!

9. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I also think what you did is fine. You never committed to them and it sounds like the gig is poorly planned.

Cheers,
    Jim

10. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah, but money is fun too.... LOL!

I don't think you are out of line. It sounds like a sub situation, especially with the rehearsals. Happen to know why their regular guy can't/won't do it? Or is it just a throw-together for the event? Either way, it's not your band, and it sounds like some guys you don't know are asking you to donate your time (with the POSSIBILITY of getting paid SOMETHING, MAYBE....) - if they want to do it, fine. If you don't, let them find someone else.

11. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    I hate it when someone says it's fun. I don't play for fun, I enjoy playing, but that's a whole "nutter thing.

You were right to say no. It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Andy

12. ^ And there you are.

A poorly planned SUB gig for less than $100.00???
    Sorry, I don't need that kind of fun either.

13. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Pass, you are totally not wrong. It is not worth your time to play with people that are not pleasant. Enjoy playing and who you play with.

14. Yeah just a throw together..... I have no reason to donate to a charity or church when I asked about it and no one could give me a straight answer. I have no problem playing with one of my bands for a free charity event everyonce in a while to promote the band.

15. Agreed. It also means the gig might end up costing you money.

16. wait you guys get paid for this

17. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Him hanging up on you pretty much confirms that you did the right thing. In other words, that move proves the guy is a jerk and why would you want to play with a jerk?

18. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Grammar, its the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." And the alternative...

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

19. Clearly you know the opportunities you need. While some bass players need gigs regardless of payment just to get a name out there, sounds like you're past that point. You were straight up with him, they were disrespectful of your time.

I usually don't have the guts to say no to anyone haha, but if I were to say no, I would have said it exactly like that.

20. +1 to everyone but Loel. Not sure what he means.