Ambient/Post-Rock/Textural bass playing thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ttasselm, Sep 4, 2013.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

I have learned about more new gear and more new music on this thread than any other on TB.

2. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    absolutely with you on that.

dukeorock and monsterthompson like this.
  3. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Gotta check this later.

This guy is quickly becoming a favorite resource.

4. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I always loved CAN's "spontaneous composition" to describe a lot of what they did. And that seemed to be happening in Miles Davis's stuff in that late 60s/early 70s era. And Frank Zappa had his own twisted take on improvisation/composition. King Crimson too - they were one of the few classic "prog" bands that incorporated improvisation. Oh yeah, the Grateful Dead. I think all of these influenced me as an improvisor, though I didn't realize it until much later in my life...

5. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I’ll be checking this out shortly :)

6. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    All my favorite bands I’ve been in have some sort of improv elements. Sometimes fairly structured bands even, leave room to change up the feel or dynamics. It’s the closest thing to a ‘spiritual’ connection to me when someone instigates something different and everyone reacts to it well. It’s a beautiful thing. I haven’t been in a pure, wholly improvised group in a long time, but it’s really fun to go off the rails even in fairly conventional music

hieronymous likes this.
  7. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Wow, I'm behind on the thread today.....
    Got some catching up to do.

Genres/labels..... euh......that's exactly like talking about sex. It always falls short of the real thing.
    Or something like that....

:)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  8. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Well...
    For $1,100 this is interesting. The bass contour knob and the 26 3/4" scale puts it on the guitar side of baritone, but it has my attention.
    Reverend Guitars - Descent RA

5ff5d3043380f5322747af96_DESRA_SLVBRST_main.png

dukeorock likes this.
  9. That was a pretty good overview. I'm gonna check out a few more of his vids.

monsterthompson likes this.
  10. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    depends who’s doing the talking. (?)

;)

ugly_bassplayer likes this.
  11. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Touché.
    Depends on who's listening to the "talk" also.
    ;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    steubig likes this.
  12. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    All this baritone and bass vi surging got me thinking today. I got out my old strat to see how well I could play guitar these days. I’ve got much more dexterity than the last time I tried. I might need to move a bass or two and grab a baritone.

dukeorock and hieronymous like this.
  13. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Re: Bass VI - I was kind of obsessed in the 2000s. I lived in Kyoto, Japan from 2002-6, and at that time picked up the Jaguar Bottom Master, which was kind of a 28" scale Bass VI, but I realized I wanted a real 30" Bass VI, which I finally acquired when I moved back to the States - one of the US released MIJ reissues from around 1996. I like it, but have never gotten the bridge to work correctly - it tilts and I can't get it to lock. But I got it for cheap and don't see myself ever getting rid of it. I actually like the way the stock pickups sound on mine. I should get the whole bridge thing worked out...

One of my Bass VI idols is Roy Babbington of later Soft Machine - he plays it with his fingers and it sounds like a P Bass or something - just amazing. And such a beautiful bass - olympic white? - with matching headstock and I love the white pickups too.

RyanKinBK, dukeorock, JES and 3 others like this.
  14. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    Sveinung Hovensjø with Terje Rypdal also played a bass vi (and i think jack bruce did as well)

15. The bridge is the excuse I keep using to avoid getting a Bass VI. I have a Squier Jaguar guitar with that kind of bridge on it, and it goes out of tune as soon as you look at it. As far as I can tell the Squier VI's also don't lock. One day I was in GC and they had a higher end Fender Jaguar with a locking version of the bridge and it was sweet to play. A vibrato bridge is of limited usefulness to me in any case, especially on a bass; but they are a part of the classic VI setup. If I ever get one I'd have to get a locking replacement immediately methinks.

Eastwood does make a couple of cool VI's but the bridges don't look much better.

SJBVI_1800x1800.jpg

TB64_57d7e992-6b0f-4467-be41-fb2f489706e3_1800x1800.jpg

hieronymous and monsterthompson like this.
  16. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ha! Whenever the conversation gets to Favorite Bass VI Players ^^^he's the first name that comes to mind! His playing on Rypdal's Odyssey album is a high point in that instrument's repertoire.

Thanks for the video, I'd never seen Hovensjø performing before.

Jamie Hale, steubig and hieronymous like this.
  17. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    No jest. There's no dad-band/1987 was the high water mark for rock/what P-bass should I buy? people in here. It's working.

18. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    i think the jazzmaster bridge is similar. apparently a lot of the higher end players replace those bridges with something called the mastery bridge, which can cost more than the squier versions of those guitars, but really work.

Spectrum likes this.
  19. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    ha!

i did get to hear some cool music (and a new fave band) based in a tb thread yesterday. possibly the first time in a decade.

20. JES

JES Supporting Member

One of my bands is definitely a dad band (I call it my “help my friends realize their artistic vision” band). I also like tort. I am a sleeper agent.

RyanKinBK and monsterthompson like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021