1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Made P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Aug 27, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    So ive been looking at getting a P-Bass, and im thinking ill only really want to spend $1000, or maybe a bit more with sales or something. I was looking at the American standard, which is in my price range and i like, but then i started looking at both the Roger Waters Signature and the Duff McKagan signature, which are better looking to me, but aren't made in america. I wasn't planning on spending extra money on a black pick guard for a black American standard. Are there american versions of these basses, or is there somewhere else, like a different company, that makes P-style basses in different colors with the same quality as an american made fender?

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Here is some advice, don't worry about the country of origin, does the bass sing, does it play like butta, does it feel good in your hands, is it well made?

I guarantee no audience member, or sound engineer, or band mate is gonna say, ahhhh Mexican or Japanese made P bass, could hear it a mile away..... just is not going to happen.

Find a bass that really rocks and buy it.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If anything, a good MIM or MIJ is constantly assumed to be MIA.

The amount of people that have come up to be saying how my P sounds so good, it must be MIA. Well no, it is MIM with a bunch of mods.

I will admit that though my bass might pass a tone test, it is not the same as playing an MIA, period. The MIA is of a much higher level of quality.

For your budget you could get a used MIA P pretty easy. The Duff sig is one thing as it has a different neck, but the Roger Waters P is a waste of money in my opinion, it is cheaper to get your own used P and drop a QP in it.

4. One option would be to find a nice used American P for $800-900 and then buy a black 'guard with the savings. I'd hold out for an American, personally.

5. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    I owned a new MIM pbass that was great. Great feel, tone, everything.

I purchased a MIA 2000 Jazz bass (see my avitar) for $700.00. Amazing bass! Feel, tone, quality, etc. I will never part with it.

I sold my MIM pbass. But then, reflection hit me. I really enjoyed my pbass so I started searching for a replacement.

Recently I played a Road Worn '57 pbass. I also played a couple of MIA pbass's. Extremely fine instruments. However, the RW blew them away! The neck, pups, sound and tone is incredible!

So, I waited a week. Returned to the store and played them all again. Same results. I purchased the RW for $900.00. This bass, IMO, is equal to a MIA pbass for alot less money.

Bottom line is, play many. Buy the one that grabs you. There are snobs out there that only endorse MIA. Yes, you must make the time to play various brands. There are many instruments that are great and less expensive.

For example, I own a Ibanez SG 300 ($300.00). Inexpensive? Yes. But I love it for versatality and active components. (I'm sure I'll get slammed for this comment)

Only you can decide what is best for you.

6. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Is the roadworn really that good? I havent really seen any in the guitar center near me, but i wanted to look at one. What exactly is it? Does it just look a bit old and beaten up or is the neck a bit worn too and the frets?

7. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Get an am standard and be done

8. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
  9. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
  10. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Yeah, ill try to look for a good used on probably. Im sorry im not gonna buy yours, i feel uncomfortable sending that much cash my mail, since i live in new jersey. It would also be a fairly high shipping, which would just bring the price back up. Plus, i wanna wait until i see what my dad says about me buying a new bass.

11. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Yea, ok...but because you're a TB'er, I'd probably make you a deal to include shipping and we can do PayPal or the like. It's also on ebay and I have 100% positive feedback. I'm only selling it to thin the heard and bc I have another USA P-Bass. I've got to make some room around here!

Let me know if you change your mind...

12. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    I will, just make sure that if no one else buys you post it here, or send a message my way. The main reason i wouldn't jump on it right now is the whole having to talk to my dad thing. Plus, i still gotta try more out too at GC. Good luck!

13. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    The American Special is about $900 now. I have the candy apple / maple neck; I like it a lot. It has the older style tuners and bridge, (no through body string holes). I never did like the hardware on the new American Standards.

The American Special is simple, as was the original P-bass.