American Vintage '62 P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirtrider, Feb 9, 2005.

1. I did a search, but I got zero results. Has anyone had any experience with this bass? I am totally GASing for one, but I've yet to find one I could molest. I'm thinking I would like to upgrade to a nicer P-Bass than my Dirnt, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off sticking to what I have. It's wonderful to look at as well. I love the sound of the Dirnt. It gives me the sound I'm looking for when I play with a pick, but I'm not sold on it's fingerstyle sound. Would I be better off with a standard American P?
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you are talking about the '62 reissue MIA Precision they are terrific basses. I sold mine recently and I'm kinda regretting it now. Great bass for finger style.
  3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I brought home 62RI P from GC a while back in OW. Nice bass, but it looked like it had be out of the store quite a bit, lots of scratches on the back, a little chip on the lower horn. I took it back looking for a possible discount, which they refused, so back to the shelf it went. Overall, the tone was good, but I've played early 80's P's that played circles around that 62RI.
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If it was at GC and somewhat the worse for wear, it may well have needed a set up so it may not have been a good prepresentative of the breed. The guy who bought mine (a bassist of no mean talent) is more than happy with it and plays out with it a lot.
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have the MIJ '62 reissue. Make sure you try it first. Compared to your Dirnt, the neck is much wider and thicker. It is probably heavier too. But great tone.
  6. RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    I have a newish 62 Reissue P-Bass, and as was mentioned, it has a different feel from the standard MIA P's, mostly due to the the wider neck and the old style, non-string-through bridge. With flats, they definitely nail that old-school tone, though.

I'd be willing to entertain offers on mine, cash or trade: it's mint, Oly white with the tort pg and set up with Roto flats. I'm playing in a pop/punk band now, and this P is a blues machine and just sitting in its case.

7. RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    In case I violated any rule against posting a fs/ft, I'm sorry, and would be happy to make it up in supporting member fees if anything comes of it...
  8. I bought a Sunburst Am Std. and put 62 reissue pickups and pickguard (tortoise) on it and it is just what I want out of a P.
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I played a Dirnt bass at GC last week.
    I found it had a great fingstyle sound.
    Maybe try different strings.
  10. Really? theres quite a few threads here and at with regards to the AV 62RI p bass.

I own one and think it kills. That doesn't mean you will though. I was fortunate enough to find a dealer that had one in stock so I could play it and compare it to an MIA series. They are different.

IMO, you might try some different types of strings with the Dirnt before trading basses if the finger tone is the main issue. One option would be Thomastick-Infeld (a.k.a TI) JF344 jazz flats. They kill with a P bass, run around $35.00 and last forever. Many other options as well.