1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheEndIsNYE, Jan 18, 2012.

1. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Dec 3, 2011
    Anyone ever play this game? It's one of my favorite games ever and it scares me to death!

2. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    I downloaded the demo... Couldn't finish it I was so scared. Very well made game.

3. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Dec 3, 2011
    I have to agree. Even though it's quite scary, it's so worth continuing on the game.

4. I played this game at a friend's house for several hours. I have to say I was impressed. I love it!

5. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Dec 3, 2011
    I'm currently beating the game, but it's whenever I go to my friend's house. My laptop can't run Amnesia, unfortunately. :( But I'm currently in the storage room, or I just arrived there.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    So what about the game is scary, exactly? I was watching Day[9]'s (if you know who that is) cast of the game as he ran through it and it didn't strike me as scary - more of a game that startles you when you least expect it. Am I missing something?

7. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Dec 3, 2011
    It's mainly because you're defenseless and you're only left to run/hide. So you have this thing called the Sanity meter. In order to maintain your sanity, you have to look at a light source of any kind or increase it by making progress throughout the game. Depending on how low your sanity is, you'll start hallucinations of all kind (footsteps, monster screams, etc.) so the horror develop throughout the game. The further you progress, it gets more difficult and frightening. If you have the time, you seriously should play it yourself!

8. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    I hav eno idea who that guy is but watching somebody play this game kind of ruins it.

It's frightening because the game knows how to build suspense over time to the point where you are anxious and fidgety. Then SHTF in the game and it terrifies you. It knows how to set you up. But you have to immerse yourself in it for it to be effective. I imagine trying to talk to some youtube audience while playing would be too distracting for a game like this.

I thought that as a game it was pretty easy. Especially managing light sources. But the rest made up for it.

9. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Dec 3, 2011
    You actually gotta play the game to really experience the horror. Don't watch LP/Walkthrough videos, that ruins it!

10. HaRd

HaRd

Aug 10, 2011
    Long Island
    It was on steam around the holidays for like $5 I believe... I'm definitely scared to start it but will eventually.

11. Nolifer

Nolifer

Apr 14, 2009
    Estonia