1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp concerns

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Brother Than, Mar 7, 2008.

1. I have an amp problem- currently, I am using a fender rumble 100(15inch speaker) with a Rev solo II pickup for gigs. It sounds pretty sweet to my (tin) ears.
    The problem is this- the place that we play often has a tiny stage and the amp is far too big and unwieldy for that venue. The room is pretty small too, but not so small as to be able to play unamped. I've taken to miking straight off the p.a. (which doesn't sound too good). Originally, my plan was to pick up a relatively inexpensive combo amp for these smaller gigs- having a smaller/lighter amp would make practicing elsewhere a little easier as well.
    I heard decent things about the swr workingman's 12- I picked one up (even though it was a little out of my price range) but it overloaded almost instantly- farting out on vol. level 3 or 4, no matter how I dialed. I returned it. I'm thinking that it could have been one of those ohm/impedence thaings of which I am totally ignorant, or, that amp just doesn't work w/upright.
    Anyway here's the question: is there any amp out there that sounds decent and is affordable? (my teacher uses an ai coda, but I just don't have that kind of dough) I've heard some decent stuff about the GK 150...
    Follow up query: I'm thinking combo is the way to go, but would it be smarter to get a head and a small cabinet? At least that way the bulk could be spread out more...
    Most of you have already figured out that I'm relatively new to the setup game.
    This is true.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    You didn't say what your budget might be,but the little GK combo is pretty much the standard for small combo amps.

3. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I used a GK150MBS for many years and it served me well. However, I recently purchased a Henricksen 12" Jazzamp and like it very much. It has a lot more headroom than the GK and has very versatile eq. The only thing the GK has over it is pre eq XLR for going into PA. The Jazzamp has post eq via jack which I don't like so much.

Try to get a jazzamp demo.

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    The Traynor / Yorkville combo amps have gotten some good reviews in this forum too in terms of bang for the buck.

That said, I like the flexibility of a separate head and cab though. New gear comes out all the time, some good, some not so good I reckon. The Henriksen amp that Roger mentioned is an example. The number of manufacturers and the number of different models of amps and speakers seems to be steadily growing. Like microbreweries. Separates will give you more options in the future to swap out or upgrade the cab or amp or both.

You should add washboard to your profile. That's cool. :)

5. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Forgot to add that there is an upright bass gear "For Sale" section here if you haven't seen it yet. Acoustic Image and GK gear shows up there from time to time.

6. Thanks for the tips- my budget for this is around 300$.
    I just dropped 160$ on a set of obligados.
    ...you'd think I was a rich man.

I've resolved to drag my bass in to try out the amp after the workingman debacle.

7. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Check out Boston Craigslist. Not too far from you (2hr drive). I see a nice GK 800RB for 300 -- you could talk em down -- then pick up a little 12" speaker cab.

In the meantime, have you tried sending your pickup through the PA? Might not sound great, but it may get the job done while you're out shopping.