1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp damage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StreetSurfer, Jan 14, 2012.

1. StreetSurfer

StreetSurfer

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland
    Ok, so I recently bought an LMIII and a Schroeder BMF1215. I've had them for at least a week I think, and I just recently read on here that connecting the 2 with an instrument cable is NOT safe. So I'm not going to use it anymore until I get a speaker cable. What I want to know is, is there a way to tell if I've done damage already? I haven't noticed anything, but discovering this little piece of info scared me.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you haven't noticed anything...you're all set. You'd notice if something bad happened.

3. +1 so don't push your luck. The "notice" you would be doing is not pleasant. :)

4. StreetSurfer

StreetSurfer

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks. Cause just now learning this scared the crap outta me.

5. Better now than a post of "My MarkBass quit working".

6. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

The danger lies in the fact that instrument cables aren't made to pass the sort of voltage and current levels that an amp puts out at high volume. Pushed too hard and for too long, the insulation can break down, and then the cable shorts and kills the amp.

Your Markbass is exactly the sort of high-powered amp that engineers were thinking about when they issued those warnings. It's safest to stick strictly to Speakon cables for your cab(s), since that eliminates the possibility of accidentally grabbing the wrong cable out of your gig bag. If your Schroe doesn't have a Speakon jack, a tech can easily retrofit it.

Speakon connectors are also preferable because they're non-shorting. Disconnecting a 1/4" cable causes a momentary short each time it happens, and can eventually lead to amplifier damage if it happens while the amp is powered up.

7. StreetSurfer

StreetSurfer

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland
    Any recommendations for speakons? Can you get them at Radioshack or something?

8. StreetSurfer

StreetSurfer

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland
  9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    In your case, 2-pole is fine, all you have is a regular 2 conductor + and - setup. 4 pole opens up more options like rigging a series cable or biamping through a single cable. If they're the same price, or only 1 or 2 dollars difference, may as well get 4.

10. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
    I always buy 4 pole and 12 guage. Check ebay you can get some quality cables for pretty cheap.

I bought two 5' cables for less than $30.