Amp diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstark, Feb 13, 2005.

1. basstark

Jun 6, 2004
    Hello bass enthusiasts! This may be a little off because it regards one of my guitar amps but i know many of you hear would have the knowledge to diagnose a general amp problem. My little silvertone amp (which is pretty awesome i might add) was not seeing much use as of recent cause one of my friends was living in my living room right where the amp is located so i had been opting to play some of the other cool amps round the house. When i tried to fire it up after maybe a few weeks of dormancy, i could not get any sound. The tubes glow no sound. Its pretty old and may be completely original. Thanks for any help!
  2. Those old Silvertone tube amps have become "collectible" now, so don't destroy this thing!!

While it's a relatively simple amp, there could be several things wrong, so I can't offer a long-distance diagnosis. Anything from a loose connection, to a fried speaker, is possible. A good tech should be able to find the problem easily. A lousy tech will spend weeks and charge you a fortune.

DON'T take it to the local music store. You need a real honest-to-goodness amp repair place.